Symantec Outlook Express Question...

t.cruise

I've looked at Properties/Message Source for every email in my Windows XP Outlook Express
Inbox. Near the end of the headers for each message is the line:

I have a Dell system that came with Symantec Norton Antivirus, which I uninstalled using
Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs, and then replaced with AVG Antivirus. Since
Symantec/Norton is uninstalled, I assumed that line in the OE Message Code was entered
when the email was scanned as it arrived at my ISP's POP3 server. I phoned Road Runner,
my ISP, and was told NO, that they don't scan email for viruses. I was told that perhaps
the Symantec/Norton uninstall wasn't clean, and although the software has been uninstalled
that there must be something that adds that line to the code to received Outlook Express
email. It doesn't show in the email itself, just the Message Code. I've searched the
registry and although there are still some Symantec Keys/Strings (I had already deleted
whatever Symantec Current User/Local Machine "Software/Symantec" Keys that were left
after the uninstall, but there are still many Symantec Keys/Strings all over the registry,
without any meaning that would suggest to me that they are causing that line of Message
Code in my received email. Anyone have a clue as to how to get rid of it?

R. McCarty

Symantec makes a "Remnant" remover for several of their products.
For Anti-Virus, you need a tool called RNav. Also, you should check
in Add/Remove programs and remove Live Update & a separate
entry called LiveReg. Finally, do a search for Symantec. You will
likely find two folders, both should be deleted. This assumes that you
don't have any other Symantec/Norton products on your PC. If you
do, then this procedure isn't going to work without damaging the
other applications.

t.cruise

I just tried the tool, the line still remains in the Message Code of received messages,
AND there are still a multitude of Symantec Keys and Strings in my registry...
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

t.cruise said:
[...]

AND there are still a multitude of Symantec Keys and Strings in my registry.... As for
cross-posting: I only posted to the three groups which I felt might help myself, and
anyone else who has the same problem. All three of these groups have had their share of
Symantec/Norton problem postings. I wouldn't call posting to only three related groups a
cross-posting issue. I've seen posts that abuse the system by cross-posting to many
groups, some of which were unrelated to the issue. Perhaps you're being oversensitive.
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

Jim Pickering said:
For a link to the Rnav removal tool for Symantec, see this link:

How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus 2003 or earlier by using the Rnav2003.exe
removal utility:
http://service4.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606

Please try to reduce your crossposting to so many groups.
--
Jim Pickering, MVP-Outlook Express
Please reply only to newsgroup.

t.cruise said:
[...]

Richard Urban

Reboot. Look for remnants again.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

t.cruise said:
[...]

And have you rebooted the computer after running the tool? Cross posting is
your choice, but it's not really needed to post a general newsgroup nor to a
security newsgroup when the problem only shows itself in Outlook Express.
But, it's your choice. Crosspost to as many as you desire. As to my
sensitivity, at my age, there is no benefit to being sensitive, but perhaps
you may be exhibiting that characteristic.

Do you have any SPAM tools other than Norton? Does your ISP provide SPAM
filtering? Perhaps they are inserting that info
into the headers. Have you checked with them? Since you post using AVG,
I'd suggest you disable the Outlook Express plugin in that program. But
again, it's your choice. Enjoy.
--

Jim Pickering said:
For a link to the Rnav removal tool for Symantec, see this link:

How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus 2003 or earlier by using the
Rnav2003.exe
removal utility:
http://service4.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606

Please try to reduce your crossposting to so many groups.

N. Miller

[...]

Could you post a copy of the full headers? With any email address suitably
masked, of course. I would guess that, possibly, it isn't being done on your
computer. I have seen only two places where my local mail handler will add
local headers; delivery lines go on top of anything added by previous
servers. Spam status lines are added directly below the last line of the
received message headers; just above the blank line which delimits the
message headers from the body. It is possible that some other server between
the sender, and your mailbox, is adding that header.

t.cruise

Yes, I rebooted after running the tool. Then I also ran it in Safe Mode in case the
process causing the problem was running in Normal Mode and couldn't be deleted while
running. I do not have anything Symantec/Norton installed on the system. As I wrote in
my first post, my ISP Road Runner emphatically said they do not filter. I disabled the
AVG OE plug-in and rebooted. I don't have any SPAM tools installed. I rely on Magic Mail
Monitor to show me the headers, and I delete the SPAM from the server before it's
downloaded. After running rnav2003.exe, I still notice far too many Symantec Keys and
Strings in my Registry (I stopped counting at 30 and that was after searching less than
1/3 of the Registry). So the removal tool only seems to clean up certain items, but not
all. The remaining Keys and Strings give no indication of whether or not they are related
to OE, and I don't feel comfortable deleting a Key that doesn't have the name Symantec and
has four sub-keys and many strings, with only one string mentioning Symantec. The only
Symantec software that was ever installed on this system was Norton Antivirus 2003, which
came preinstalled. After seeing all of those Symantec Keys and Strings in the Registry
after an uninstall, and after using a tool that supposed cleans up better than the
uninstall, I will avoid Symantec/Norton in the future. I've seen software do unclean
uninstalls, but nothing as intensive as this.

--
T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

Jim Pickering said:
For a link to the Rnav removal tool for Symantec, see this link:

How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus 2003 or earlier by using the
Rnav2003.exe
removal utility:
http://service4.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606

Please try to reduce your crossposting to so many groups.

t.cruise

Here's the Message Code header (minus any personal information such as IP addresses, ID
numbers, and sender and recipient names and email addresses) that contains the line:

That line appears in the code of every message in my inbox. When I asked my ISP, Road
Runner, if they scan with Symantec, ergo adding the line to the code, the basic tech
person told me that he didn't think so. But, to make sure, he transferred my call to a
higher level tech person. That person told me that Road Runner used to scan messages, but
ceased that practice, and now has a policy that offers free firewall and antivirus
software to its subscribers. He said emphatically that Road Runner does not scan with any
Symantec product.

Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 14:01:18 -0700
From: Sender's Name <Sender's email address>
Subject: I was in OZ on the 3rd - Sorry
To: My Name <my email address>

Jim Pickering

Sorry, but I'm out of ideas then. But, it adds further ammunition to the
argument that Symantec's product for consumers is not up to the quality of
the product they provide for corporate users, which is much less intrusive.
Hope you get a better answer and post back if you find a solution, short of
a flattening of the disk and reinstall, which is a major hassle and not
recommended. Good luck.

Jim Pickering

That suggest your ISP is using MIMEDefang, a product from this link:

Roaring Penguin - MIMEDefang e-mail filtering software:
http://www.roaringpenguin.com/penguin/open_source_mimedefang.php

Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 14:01:18 -0700
From: Sender's Name <Sender's email address>
To: My Name <my email address>
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

Could you post a copy of the full headers? With any email address
suitably
masked, of course. I would guess that, possibly, it isn't being done on
your
computer. I have seen only two places where my local mail handler will
add
local headers; delivery lines go on top of anything added by previous
servers. Spam status lines are added directly below the last line of the
received message headers; just above the blank line which delimits the
message headers from the body. It is possible that some other server
between
the sender, and your mailbox, is adding that header.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

R. McCarty

I don't believe that "End User" Symantec Anti-Virus adds any data to
the X Headers in messages. That's almost always a function of the Server
side. I use Nis-2004 Pro and have sent myself a couple of messages &
there isn't any X Headers with Symantec scanning in them. I also don't
remember seeing any Nav options to include header scan messages.

Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 14:01:18 -0700
From: Sender's Name <Sender's email address>
To: My Name <my email address>
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

[...]

Thank you for your help. I agree that a clean install isn't warranted for that one line
of Message Code. I'm inclined to believe that it's coming from the server end, even
though support at my ISP denies it. My previous ISP scanned incoming messages, and there
was an X line in the Message Code for the scanning engine that it used, and it wasn't
Symantec.

Jim Pickering

Well, that's what MIMEDefang does. And it's not necessarily your ISP, it
could be any Post Office along the way that handles your mail. If you
highlight such a message and check the headers, you'll find it will normally
have gone through several Post Offices on the way to you. FWIW, I find most
such messages come from Internic IP addresses in the Asian part of the
world.
http://www.roaringpenguin.com/mimedefang/
--

t.cruise said:
Thank you for your help. I agree that a clean install isn't warranted for
that one line
of Message Code. I'm inclined to believe that it's coming from the server
end, even
though support at my ISP denies it. My previous ISP scanned incoming
messages, and there
was an X line in the Message Code for the scanning engine that it used,
and it wasn't
Symantec.
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
Remove [NoSpam] to reply

PA Bear

Disabling AVG's OE5 Plugin effectively disables scanning of outgoing and
incoming mail. Unlike some other AV apps, I've found that AVG's email
scanning does not interfere with reliable operation of OE6-SP1 and higher.

Derek

I have Symantec's "Norton AntiVirus Professional 2004" with the options set
to scan Outgoing and Incoming Email. A Test message to myself has no
indication, in message header, that the email being scanned by Symantec's
Norton AntiVirus Scan Engine.
Derek

Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 14:01:18 -0700
From: Sender's Name <Sender's email address>
To: My Name <my email address>
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

[...]

mr cruise i do think this has gone on long enough it obviously causes no problem on you pc, isnt a security issue and has no resonable solution, back up all the stuff you need to keep and format youre hd, this will definatly solve the problem then re install all your programs and backups, next time you buy a pc, get the store to remove all unwaqnted software from the pc before delivery, and what was wrong with norton any way, millions of ppl use it without problems every day, i do think you are the one who is to sensitive you need to lighten up i think a few strings, cuple of k of mem? just leave then alone and ignore the serch for the line in the header i never look at stuff like that and it dont wory me , lol your upseting your self
a case of a little knowlege.....