Swiching Firewall off and on

Reaction score
I have been trying to get ebay to give me a new temporary password for several days now. The one I have always used not being accepted for some reason.They keep sending me an email telling me to look out for an email with instructions of what to do next. This email never arrives.
Included in the email they send is the following
`If you do not receive your temporary password, check your firewall
settings. Also, some members have found they have two firewalls in
place. For example, Windows XP Service Pack 2 has a built-in firewall
that may be operating along with another firewall you have installed.
Often having two firewalls operating together can cause problems with
certain eBay functions, such as installing eBay-specific software.`

Can somebody please tell me how I check or find firewalls on the PC or of course it need not be the firewall/s.
Ignorant of anything like that. Im AOL and XP
Many thanks if you can help an old codger get back on ebay.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Have you ever installed a firewall yourself? Or do you simply use the Windows firewall that is on your system?

Information about the windows firewall is usually found in the Control Panel.

Reaction score
Thanks nivrip, No I dont know anything much about firewall. I know that I should have it to protect the PC.
Yes I use the firewall thats in the system and I have Windows XP Service Pack 2. Well Im pretty sure!

Reaction score
Thanks muckshifter,
I have a feeling I got an email from ebay telling me that the password or what ever, was being in some sort of danger or words to that effect but I get so many scams from ebay (account ones and sellers saying I havnt sent the money for something I have not bid on) that I could have put that one straight in the scam box. Hence the password needed changing. Not much good at sorting things out.Use the excuse that Im 82!!!
Will have a look at your sites.
Every 24 hours ebay are sending me a new temporary password which I report back and say I have not got it and so this has been going on for the past 4 days.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I have no trouble with E-Bay and I use AOL and their free McAfee firewall with the windows firewall turned off .
nod.gif

Reaction score
Thanks Abarbarian,
I have been using the same password for a very long time with no problems but ebay have told me I should change it every so often.Will do in future.
Think I will try turning off windows firewall( did find it earlier if I can remember where!) and try McAfee. Will I find it already in the PC or will I have to put it in?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I think it should make it clear here that the Windows Firewall, or indeed any firewall by itself will NOT block a specific email, or indeed any email unless your email client has specifically been blocked from gaining access to your internet connection - it will either all be blocked or nothing.

However an Anti-Virus suite could potentially do this to specific email, particularly if it has a spam feature.

What client are you using to access your email? Have you checked whether your client has filtered it into a spam folder or suchlike?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
crosby37 said:
Thanks Abarbarian,
I have been using the same password for a very long time with no problems but ebay have told me I should change it every so often.Will do in future.
Think I will try turning off windows firewall( did find it earlier if I can remember where!) and try McAfee. Will I find it already in the PC or will I have to put it in?

I was pointing out that my set up had none of your problems . If your AOL subscription includes free McAfee then the AOL site will have up to date instructions for its instilation ,

You would be wise to look into what the other members are saying and sugesting for your problem . :thumb:

Ask a Question