Swap File

Gloria Vixentart

DrJoel (e-mail address removed), wrote in message
AK17wF%[email protected]:
Increasing RAM is totally out of the question, the computer users
RAMBUS which is very expensive. my drive for the SWAP file is 40GB My
main drive is 120GB.

Just set it fixed at 800MB on the second [40GB] hard drive and be done with
it.

In the meantime, do some reading of your own. Google is your friend.

--
Marsey dotes
And dosey dotes

Mares eat oats
And does eat oats,
And little lambs eat ivy.
A Kid will eat ivy too,
Wouldn't you?

deebs

Gloria said:
DrJoel (e-mail address removed), wrote in message
AK17wF%[email protected]:
Increasing RAM is totally out of the question, the computer users
RAMBUS which is very expensive. my drive for the SWAP file is 40GB My
main drive is 120GB.

Just set it fixed at 800MB on the second [40GB] hard drive and be done with
it.

In the meantime, do some reading of your own. Google is your friend.
Rather than seeking a theoretical solution, how about listing the
various options open to you?

Then run each option for a week or so.

After the end of the period (foreshortened just in case something
appears absolutely marvellous or terribly awful) the best option will
probably appear obvious.

If it does not appear obvious then ipso facto there is no obvious best
setting?

David Candy

But so what. With 512 MB his swap file is barely being used. Instead of theory can you prove it is quicker.

deebs

David said:
But so what. With 512 MB his swap file is barely being used. Instead of theory can you prove it is quicker.
It really depends as, in general, these things are quite subjective
where perceived need may be at variance with actual need.

Suppose, for example, a bit of kit is set up fine. It runs tickety-boo
and rinky-dinky neat.

But one app decides to flash up a notice (and we all know what that
feels like) and it does it repetetively

It won't do any harm (I think) to try the reasonable options.
Unreaonable ones will make themselves known soon enough?

Bruce Chambers

DrJoel said:
I have my swap file located on my D drive for more speed. I have 512 Mb
of Physical memory, how big should the swap file on D be? Please give me
a minimum and maximum since D drive is used just foe swap file.

Unless your "D:" drive is a dedicated partition on a separate physical
hard drive, you won't gain any performance by placing the swap file
there. In fact, you might even slow down the system.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

both at once. - RAH