svchost.exe

David Mursch

In the last three days I have had hree crashes of W2k, all of which seem to
have started with the message "svchost.exe has generated errors and will be
closed...". then I found I could not use the clipboard in Office programs
Word and Excel; when I opened Word or Excel I got the message that document
linking was not functional; operations like cut-and-paste or drag-and-drop
did not work; in Outlood, when I opened a new email I got the message that
Word could not be used as the email editor; and eventually I start geeting
out-of-memory messages and have to shut down. Also when this happens I
cannot close my internet dial-up connection without shutting down Windows.

I recently installed QBtimer (upgrade), but no other programs or upgrades in
the past few weeks.

Can anybody advise me what to do about this? I was used to daily crashes in
W98, but I swear this is the first instance of W2K crashing since I got it
last fall, and with a home office I use it all day every day. So this is
really puzzling me.

...rdm

jon

I am experiencing a similar thing:
I get the little grey box error message "SVCHOST.EXE has generated
errors and will be shut down. After this I can't copy/paste/drag
anything. Excel will open, then shut down with this error message
"cannot use object linking and embedding". Upon shutdown and restart
I can go error-free for a small amount of time...until the SVCHOST.EXE
error message pops up. So far there haven't been any "crashes" but
the inability to copy/paste/change kind of defeats the purpose of a
computer.

This is also puzzling me.

James

(e-mail address removed) (jon) wrote in message
I am experiencing a similar thing:
I get the little grey box error message "SVCHOST.EXE has generated
errors and will be shut down. After this I can't copy/paste/drag
anything. Excel will open, then shut down with this error message
"cannot use object linking and embedding". Upon shutdown and restart
I can go error-free for a small amount of time...until the SVCHOST.EXE
error message pops up. So far there haven't been any "crashes" but
the inability to copy/paste/change kind of defeats the purpose of a
computer.

This is also puzzling me.

I am having the exact same problem as you. svchost.exe shuts down then
no copy/paste or drag drop and outlook cant send/receive and other
problems. Only started a few days ago. Maybe its the latest MSN 6.0
messanger or maybe a new virus which norton cant pick up, or maybe the
latest norton antivirus updates installed something.

I will do some more tests and you keep you informed on this group.

Marek Williams

[...]

I suddenly had the same thing happen on my Windows 2000 computer,
although the computer did not crash. I just clicked OK on the message.
Several more similar messages immediately appeared thereafter, each
showing a slightly different memory address. Eventually I cleared them
all and went about my business.

Then yesterday about noon I went to log onto the internet (plain
dialup modem), and discovered that I was still logged on from the
morning. I was irritated that I had evidently forgotten to log off. I
went about checking my stock account and stuff and then logged off.
Later that day I went to log on again and -- amazingly -- I was still
connected. So then I decided to disconnect for sure and then reconnect
before doing things. I quickly discovered that the disconnect function
no longer worked. I tried everything, but nothing worked. Eventually I
walked over to the wall and pulled the plug. That finally did it.

So having the computer showing finally that I was disconnected, I put
the plug back in the wall and dialed up. After conducting my business
on the net, I disconnected, only to discover that, again, I was unable
to disconnect. I had to pull the plug again.

I had done nothing whatsoever to the computer. It was working fine the
day before and no changes had been made to anything. The only thing I
could think of was that I had somehow contracted a virus. I don't use
a firewall or even anti-virus software, mostly because I have
discovered that they cause innumerable problems.

I logged back on and went to Housecalls --
(http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
And used their free system check. I've used it before and it never
found anything, but it seems to be pretty well respected in the
anti-virus world. Immediately upon starting the check it announced
that it had found and cleaned "worm_msblast.a." I let it finish the
rest of its check and that's all it found.

However, cleaning it did not resolve the problem. I was still unable
to log off. So I googled for more info on this worm and discovered
that it was brand new, and that Microsoft had a patch. I applied the
patch from microsoft.com and let it restart the computer when it was
finished. That did it. No further problems.

However, I notice in Task Manager that I have two svchost.exe
processes running. Neither is causing any further problems, so I have
left well enough alone. I did a search for svchost.exe and found two
different locations where the file is located, both within the winnt
folder.

I don't know if any of that helps, but it wouldn't hurt to go to
Housecalls and run their free system check.

James

However, I notice in Task Manager that I have two svchost.exe
processes running. Neither is causing any further problems, so I have
left well enough alone. I did a search for svchost.exe and found two
different locations where the file is located, both within the winnt
folder.

I don't know if any of that helps, but it wouldn't hurt to go to
Housecalls and run their free system check.

HI,

BINGO !!!

Problem solved. Its that new virus thats has been going around this
last
few days. Seems to have bypassed Norton.

You can download a patch from:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp

Its worked for me...

Ramon Leon

I am having exactly the same problem as Marek reported earlier. 2 days
ago this computer could not boot win2000 any more (I don´t know if
this has anything to do with this). I tried to repair the installation
but that was useless, so that I decided to reinstall OS, and changed
from IE 5 to IE 6 but today I got the same error message about
svchost.exe, exactly as described. I am using win2000 for about a year
with a dial up connection in this computer with no problems at all...
Has someone got anything about this?

Ramon Leon