SVCHOST.EXE USING TOO MUCH RAM

edi25

As i open the windows task manager in windows xp, I
realise there are the usual 3 svchost.exe processes
running however there is now an additional svchost.exe
file running. This starts off using 7 mb of RAM but when
the computer is running it gets up to using around 30Mb
causing games to crash unexpectedly. I don't know how
to "erase" this file as the svchost.exe also runs the
other processes and is located in the C:\Windows\System32
\ folder. I would appreciate any help to be sent to
(e-mail address removed). Thanks

As i open the windows task manager in windows xp, I
realise there are the usual 3 svchost.exe processes
running however there is now an additional svchost.exe
file running. This starts off using 7 mb of RAM but when
the computer is running it gets up to using around 30Mb
causing games to crash unexpectedly. I don't know how
to "erase" this file as the svchost.exe also runs the
other processes and is located in the C:\Windows\System32
\ folder. I would appreciate any help to be sent to
(e-mail address removed). Thanks
.
The svchost.exe that is eating your ram is in the
windows folder NOT the system32 folder as normal, this is
because it is a virus! Update your virus program and do a
scan of your system or perhaps an online scan.

edi25

windows folder NOT the system32 folder as normal, this is
because it is a virus! Update your virus program and do a
scan of your system or perhaps an online scan.

nope not there, even checked hidden and system files

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
Use the following article to help identify what the additional process that
is running in the hosted session by svchost.
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314056
Each instance of Svchost can be running one or more processes. The article
explains how to see what it running in each instance, which should help in
identifying what is casuing the issue.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]