Suse 10.1 Nvidia Drivers & Update probs

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I’ve just been messing about with Suse 10.1, installed it some time ago but just got around to using the Jemreport to make it media friendly.

I’ve come across a problem trying to install the Nvidia drivers to enable 3D acceleration. Firstly, my system is 32 bit, I installed the Suse 10.1 32 bit version, so I chose these drivers from the Nvidia website:

Linux IA32
Latest Version: 1.0-8776
Latest Legacy GPU version: 1.0-7184
Archive

I’m assuming these are the correct drivers?

When I try to install, I end up with this message:

ERROR: The kernel header file ‘/lib/modules/2.6.16.13-4-default/build/include/linux/kernel.h’ does not exist. The most likely reason for this is that the kernel source path ‘/lib/modules/2.6.16.13-4-default/build’ is incorrect.

Please make sure you have installed the kernel source files for your kernel and that they are properly configured. On Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be sure you have the ‘kernel-source’ RPM installed.

If you know the correct kernel source files are installed, you may specify the kernel source path with the ‘—kernel-source-path’ command line option.

I’m guessing at two things, either I’ve selected the wrong Nvidia drivers or my Suse 10.1 kernel needs updating.

If it’s the latter, I don’t know how to manually update a kernel and the Suse 10.1 auto-updater appears not to be working.

Is there a way I can auto-update by logging in at Novell or something?

And one final, unrelated question: I thought I disabled the power options, where monitor is shut down, from desktop setup, but it’s still blacking out after ten mins or so and I have to hit the space bar to turn it on again.

Is there somewhere else within the OS I should be looking for this?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Sorry, Suse has lost me while they refuse to 'fix' that stupid update problem ... I now use Ubuntu.

[advert] Ubuntu is easier to install than Windows, easier to update and dead fecking simple to install any drivers ... plus, as an added bonus, one can "instal;" Boinc via point-n-click [/advert] :p

However, in 10.1 they "simplified" how you install the nVidia drivers ... if you can get the updater to work.

You simply add ... download.nvidia.com/novell ... to YaST's Installation Source, and, wait ... if, I say, IF the 'updater' is working, you may need to hit refresh, it will tell you you have new updates ... for nvidia.
nod.gif

GOOD LUCK!!

Ask a Question