Surrendering a domain name.

Sonars_UK

Hi,

I've recently obtained a new client and have finished designing their
website.

Their previous website designer is so lazy it is untrue! He's said that he
can't be bothered to transfer the domain name as there is too much paperwork
involved. He is going to surrender the domain name and I'll purchase it
back for my client.

Does anyone know how long it takes to surrender a domain name and how long
it will take until it is available for purchase again?

Thanks in advance for your help. I apologise if this post is off topic (all
of the domain name newsgroups were full of adverts and junk).

Kind regards,

Sonars_UK

Clark

That slacker probably registered the domain name at someplace like
register.com and has discovered that they want $200 to transfer the
domain name. The paperwork he is trying to avoid is the passing of $$.

clintonG

$200 are you kidding? I have to check this out as I have several domains
with register.com.

As for transferring it should not even take a week if all involved act
promptly.

Steve Easton

You should be able to transfer it using the registration features / domain manager at your hosting
company.
You submit a transfer request, the current registrar emails the domain holder for permission to
transfer
The holder responds to the email giving permission and it transferred within 48 hours.

That's how I've done it, and it only cost $10.00

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

Tom Pepper Willett

*If* he has the proper credentials to do it ;-)
--
===
Tom "Pepper" Willett
| You should be able to transfer it using the registration features / domain
manager at your hosting
| company.
| You submit a transfer request, the current registrar emails the domain
holder for permission to
| transfer
| The holder responds to the email giving permission and it transferred
within 48 hours.

| That's how I've done it, and it only cost $10.00
|
| --
| Steve Easton
| Microsoft MVP FrontPage
| 95isalive
| This site is best viewed............
| .......................with a computer
|
| | > Hi,
| >
| > I've recently obtained a new client and have finished designing their
| > website.
| >
| > Their previous website designer is so lazy it is untrue! He's said that
he
| > can't be bothered to transfer the domain name as there is too much
paperwork
| > involved. He is going to surrender the domain name and I'll purchase it
| > back for my client.
| >
| > Does anyone know how long it takes to surrender a domain name and how
long
| > it will take until it is available for purchase again?
| >
| > Thanks in advance for your help. I apologise if this post is off topic
(all
| > of the domain name newsgroups were full of adverts and junk).
| >
| > Kind regards,
| >
| > Sonars_UK

Clark

Well, there is a surprise waiting for you then.

We stayed a a quaint old in in Vermont visting my grandson, and the lady
there said her son had told her (or maybe did it for her) to register a
domain name for her place, which she did. But she said she had not
gotten around to getting a website and felt she really needed one So I
told her I would build her one in exchange for lodging when we came to
visit my grandson.

Since I am all set up to re-sell hosting if I choose to, this looked
like a simple deal, build a site, transfer her domain name to my hosting
account and charge her $10 a month. So I checked to see where her name
was registered, (register.com of course) and they retained all the
technical and administrative authority. And they want $200 to transfer
the domain name which is a ridiculous fee for a trivial task.

Not a place I would recommmend to anyone for registering a site!

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28aka:_Crash_Gordo

hmmmm.

'backorder' the domain through another registrar...then tell the lady not to renew (or pay for the renewal) through register.com...when it defaults you'll have it from the other registrar?

| Well, there is a surprise waiting for you then.
|
| We stayed a a quaint old in in Vermont visting my grandson, and the lady
| there said her son had told her (or maybe did it for her) to register a
| domain name for her place, which she did. But she said she had not
| gotten around to getting a website and felt she really needed one So I
| told her I would build her one in exchange for lodging when we came to
| visit my grandson.
|
| Since I am all set up to re-sell hosting if I choose to, this looked
| like a simple deal, build a site, transfer her domain name to my hosting
| account and charge her $10 a month. So I checked to see where her name
| was registered, (register.com of course) and they retained all the
| technical and administrative authority. And they want $200 to transfer
| the domain name which is a ridiculous fee for a trivial task.
|
| Not a place I would recommmend to anyone for registering a site!
|
| >$200 are you kidding? I have to check this out as I have several domains
| >with register.com.
| >
| >As for transferring it should not even take a week if all involved act
| >promptly.

Tom J

"Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" <[email protected]>
wrote in message hmmmm.

'backorder' the domain through another registrar...then tell the lady not to
renew (or pay for the renewal) through register.com...when it defaults you'll
have it from the other registrar?

I wouldn't bet on that happening. register.com is going to put that name on
hold in THEIR pool for ????, and you'll pay right on - that's what I think
will happen anyway. That's why you find a good server provider that is also
licensed to issue domain names and keep it all in one basket. No screw ups
that way.

If it was my name, I'd pay the fee and move it.

Tom J

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28aka:_Crash_Gordo

If she's never used it...I'd just register a new name with a better registrar then. I wouldn't pay 200 bucks ransom.

wrote in message If she's never used it...I'd just register a new name with a better registrar
then. I wouldn't pay 200 bucks ransom.

The way I read the original post, the name is being used, but will now be
managed by a different ISP/web designer. What am I missing?

Tom J

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28aka:_Crash_Gordo

nothing, you're right...I was confusing this thread with another one...sorry