SURPRISE!> Microsoft Plans to Combine 32-bit and 64-bit Windows Vista After SP1

...winston

Well....ok..then take my follow-up post for what its worth, pure ranting, and hopefully see the humor in the other Ralph's(not Wiggum) quote.

Understood about 10.5, I'm familiar with it...I wasn't sure anyone else did though.

Mutually sorry!! Let's move on.

...winston

: On 2007-06-18 04:36:26 +0100, "...winston" <merlin@druid9#.com> said:
:
: > The post didn't. You were the first to mention 10.5
: > ...winston
: >
: > : > : > : > Robert I am just copy pasting the info from the link I have already
: > : > provided in my post!.. this article is NOT mine!
: > : >
: > : > The link towards this information is the first thing you see in the post!
: > : : Yep got that, but I don't see where it mentions 10.5 being 64-bit
: > only. : :
:
: Gah, I think I owe you an apology. My first reply was an attempt at a
: bit of a joke but on re-reading it I think I missed that and scored a
: square bulls-eye on 'acting like a bit of a jerk', for which I can only
: say sorry.
:
: The point about "Leopard" from the OP's post being the codename for OSX
: 10.5 still stands though. Take a look at apple.com, they're pretty
: clear about it there.
: --
: Robert Moir
:
: www.rhymeswithgeek.com
:

XS11E

Manatee Memories said:
Vista is barely out of the gate & already its'
_successor_ is being mentioned? Rumor has it there are people
still running earlier builds of NT4, and why, it may be asked?
Reliable, competent OS; does what its' users ask, et cetera.

I'm NOT running NT 4.0, the reason being no USB support, I'd probably
still be running 4.0 if the rumored next service pack that added USP
support had actually happened.

Instead we got Windows 2000 which became a necessity as more and more
peripherals became USB only.

Robert Moir

<g>

ex MVP by the way. I got kicked to the kerb. Presumably for telling people
that Vista sucks and to buy a mac if you've got nothing special tying you to
windows. Advice I still believe in for home users by the way...
Ah...its nice to see you've been paying attention, though apparently it
didn't apply when you responded the first time "Where did you get this
information from".

One can fully understand that even mvp's make mistakes, but most have a
higher level of professionalism in this and other forums and make their
point without stooping to such sophomoric effort that may only equal Ralph's
erratic behavior, but if you wish to play that game..

Multiple choice.

Did Robert M.
a. ask the original poster where the information came from not realizing it
was a link that could be read by a click, if read prior, the question would
then have been unnecessary and made even less sense.
b. finally read it
c. post the first use of the term '10.5' that occurred in this thread or the
article(educational as it may have been for the Windows only folks, it still
remains as first mention)
d. particularly care for this poster point out that item c was true
e. all the above

To quote(I can provide a link if necessary) the infamous sportscaster Ralph
Kiner which explains the purpose and importance of this whole thread --
"We'll be back with the recrap after this message."

...winston

: On 2007-06-18 04:36:26 +0100, "...winston" <merlin@druid9#.com> said:
:
: > The post didn't. You were the first to mention 10.5
: > ...winston
:
: ... is the WRONG answer. Sorry but you've lost the chance to win this
: week's star prize but it's not too late to leave with one of our
: fabulous trips to hawaii.
:
: Your next question:
: In the original post, Tibby mentioned / quoted : "Microsoft will be one
: step closer to Apple, as the Cupertino-based company will offer only
: 64-bit Leopard."
:
: ... What version of Apple's Mac OSX is "Leopard" a codename for.
:
: Is it
: a) 10.5
: b) 10.2
: c) Ralph Wiggum
: d) OK Rob you've made your point now stfu already.
:
: --
: Robert Moir
:
: www.rhymeswithgeek.com
:

The poster formerly known as Nina DiBoy

Robert said:
I love how people go on and on about UAC being some kind of evil Microsoft
scheme when it was actually stolen pretty well wholesale from Unix

PMSL! Didn't you notice the difference?!? Linux prompts for the root
password which is much more secure than annoying the user to click on a
stupid button!
and is most often seen in OSX and Linux at the moment.

I've never seen UAC in linux. I have however seen prompting for the
root password which makes more sense because it is much more secure.

--
Priceless quotes in m.p.w.vista.general group:
http://protectfreedom.tripod.com/kick.html

Most recent idiotic quote added to KICK (Klassic Idiotic Caption Kooks):
"Spoken like a true NixTurd (oops, NixTard)."

"Good poets borrow; great poets steal."
- T. S. Eliot

...winston

Depending upon ones perspective, sometimes the 'kerb' can have its advantages with the mvp program iirc now under marketing.

I've mentioned this before..there are pros and cons for anyone's o/s choice to be comfortable and happy.

...w

: <g>
:
: ex MVP by the way. I got kicked to the kerb. Presumably for telling people
: that Vista sucks and to buy a mac if you've got nothing special tying you to
: windows. Advice I still believe in for home users by the way...

The poster formerly known as Nina DiBoy

KristleBawl said:
Be careful, Frank, or I'll put you back in the box with Tiberius, Doris
and Karen Jane!

KB

"Frank" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Noone cares who's in your killfile. You may consider to stop being so
self important.

--
Priceless quotes in m.p.w.vista.general group:
http://protectfreedom.tripod.com/kick.html

Most recent idiotic quote added to KICK (Klassic Idiotic Caption Kooks):
"Spoken like a true NixTurd (oops, NixTard)."

"Good poets borrow; great poets steal."
- T. S. Eliot

Rich

Yes; I just really needed to get some stuff off my flippers...

don't leave a ring around the group

Rich

DevilsPGD

In message <[email protected]> The poster formerly known as Nina
DiBoy said:
PMSL! Didn't you notice the difference?!? Linux prompts for the root
password which is much more secure than annoying the user to click on a
stupid button!

Different threat -- Linux is verifying the USER, UAC trusts the user and
is verifying that the user has authorized the PROGRAM.

You can set UAC to require a password too, if you want to check both the
user and the program.

DevilsPGD said:
In message <[email protected]> The poster formerly known as Nina

Different threat -- Linux is verifying the USER, UAC trusts the user and
is verifying that the user has authorized the PROGRAM.

You can set UAC to require a password too, if you want to check both the
user and the program.

Thanks! This is the first time I'm seeing any valid use for UAC...ever.

--

DiBoy said:
Thanks! This is the first time I'm seeing any valid use for UAC...ever.

That's probably because you're looking at everything from a linux
security model, where limited users were the standard from day one, and
programs were developed with that in mind.

Windows didn't have that, Windows (16-bit and 9x) was designed with a
single user, the-user-is-the-admin model. Part of the design goal of NT
was to introduce a multiuser model, and a rich security model, allowing
for administrators, as well as generally untrusted users.

This worked great, except that many/most 9x apps failed to run because
the apps made assumptions about what the system would allow them to do.

As a result, the defacto standard is for home users to be full
administrators simply because it was needed to get legacy applications
working. Since most users were admins anyway, there was little need for
developers to change their bad habits.

UAC is a departure from this legacy, placing security above convenience
(which is exactly what the security experts of the world have been
screaming as Microsoft to do for many moons)

If you login as a "User" without administrative rights, you'll *always*
need a password for UAC elevation. This is similar to Linux.

Windows uses single-sign-on rather then requiring the password to be
re-entered each and every time it's needed. As a result, asking the
password over and over is not especially useful, since Windows has
already identified who the user is. Instead, UAC uses a secure desktop,
which prevents apps from using your SSO credentials to elevate.