Supermicro X7DWA-N

Review Supermicro X7DWA-N

M

Movieman

Movieman submitted a new article:

Supermicro X7DWA-N - Supermicro X7DWA-N

Introduction

I had the opportunity to spend some time testing and evaluating this motherboard with two sets of CPUs and two types of memory. First using two X5482 Harpertowns (3200/12mb/1600) and 4x2 gig of Transcend DDR2-800 FB-Dimms, and later on using two E5450 Harpertowns(3000/12mb/1333).

This EATX board is built using the newest 5400 Seaburg chipset with 1600FSB support built in. The layout is a typical EATX 12x13” design and like previous versions uses 24, 8 and 4 pin...

Read more about this article...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Fast and solid server platform - so not really intended for overclocking. Though for server application I'd prefer to have 4 on-board Gigabit LAN ports.

With 2 PCIe x16 slots the x8 (more or less) UIO slot seems not to be so useful - standard PCIe port will suit as well (this board is surely not for 1-2U chassis).

May be an excellent solution for 2D graphics workstation - 28 to 60GB RAM-based scratch disk (the latter with 8GB memory modules, when they will become cheaper) will make nearly any Photoshop/Illustrator project to fly!

Not so nicely fit for 3D graphics workstation - mainly because of NVIDIA (hope, self-killing) approach, demanding the presence of only NVIDIA chips on (otherwise unused) cross-cards PCIe connection (have quite a serious suspicion that it is drivers-based limitation - might be someone will "cure" this?). Also, sticking to eATX form factor limits the (otherwise excellent) expandability of i5400 chipset. Up to 4 slots might be "organized" from the first connection for up to 4 graphics cards use - they really do not need more bandwidth (at least yet). And 3-4 slots (with x32 total connections) might be arranged for I/O expansion from the second link (surely this construction would not fit onto eATX board!).

Reaction score
I've been watching this board for a couple of years as I'm looking to upgrade my (super micro pdsge) media server to better handle Hi def. The problem I see with "consumer" boards such as this is the continual reduction in option slots.
8 used to be the norm but no longer.
Between my 2 raid controller cards and 2 capture card plus video, the expansion capabilities are ended.

I wish that SM and other companies would provide products for the high end user to permit future expansion.
If I had my perfect board it would contain 6 pci-x/pci combo slots & 2 pci-e x16 that support cross fire and sli.
Even though I have no need for this much graphics horse power for my needs.

Aside from this shortcoming, I'm sure that this is a strong contender in it's market space. Unfortuantely, I can't justify dropping one to two large on a board that doesn't permit future expansion as new products come available :<

For now I'm toying with a hp dl380-II server for my next upgrade cycle, (if I can fix the noise issues that is, 10 fans to silence...).
(4 dual xeon @ 2.5 ghz)

Reaction score
thx for the 08 review... how do you rate this with newer boards with the passing months... thanx.. rich

Reaction score
thx for the 08 review... how do you rate this with newer boards with the passing months... thanx.. rich

Fairly good but expensive, I finally settled on a pair of HP workstations model xw8400.

sweet config, 3 pci-x, 3 pci-e (16x 8x 8x) and a pci slot. dual xeon cpu sockets.
5100/5300 dual or quad core w/1333 fsb. 32 g max memory, on board sas (4) and sata (6) ports, on board audio, front and rear usb 2 and fire wire.

you should also take a look at the 8600 series uses 1 gen newer 5200/5400 xeon procs.

I paid less than 300 for a complete 8400 w/ dual 5160 proc's, memory, dual sas drives, kybd mouse & dvd w/ win vista be 800 watt psu.

My second build was a board only, $55 on ebay, had to add 2 heat sinks w/ cpu $80, memory 60 all mounted into a spare server (atx ff) box.

All told a nice stable package.

I currently have an 8 core @ 1.88g 4 gb and a quad core @ 3.0 8 gb running nvidia 9800gt video is more than over kill for my needs.

Media center applications and linux games.