upgrade ok or buy new machine?

Reaction score
Hi fellows,

Kinda introduction-thread of myself, too :D

I hope to get some advice:

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/reviews/Motherboards/Supermicro_X7DWA-N/

I tried to send PM to the author of this nice review but am not allowed as a new member. so I just post here.

I've got this X7DWA board and just upgraded with two X5482 (had 2x E5420 before) - I payed 300 euros for both, now, (used) and I can still sell the old ones.
I do 3D apps mostly with big files and intensive rendering.
So i thought instead of buying new machine with core i7 I'll just upgrade and stick with what I have because i was very satisfied with the machine in recent years.
Do you think the decision was/is right? I mean the harpertown specs are still pretty good, aren't they? what's still in there to get the system to it's full performance?
In addition I'm interested in overclocking but I'm a total noob when it comes to that.
I have thermaltake heatsinks (CL-P0303 - full copper with heatpipes)
system:
supermicro X7DWA
2x X5482
14GB DDR2 667
ATI FireGL v8650 (softmod)
2x250GB (raptors I think)

thank you in advance for any input/advice/opinion!

best regards

Martin

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If your pair of 250Gb disks are Raptor's that's a good system you have there. Even better if the two disks are in a RAID 0. Do hope you've got some form of backup.

My gut reaction is hang fire, there will be a new range of Intel CPU's to supercede the i7 family quite soon, take a look at those when they're released.

I recently changed from an old Intel Core Duo 6600 to Sandybridge i7 based system and the only real improvements I noticed were better gaming and a slightly faster boot time (Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit).

Reaction score
If your pair of 250Gb disks are Raptor's that's a good system you have there. Even better if the two disks are in a RAID 0. Do hope you've got some form of backup.

My gut reaction is hang fire, there will be a new range of Intel CPU's to supercede the i7 family quite soon, take a look at those when they're released.

I recently changed from an old Intel Core Duo 6600 to Sandybridge i7 based system and the only real improvements I noticed were better gaming and a slightly faster boot time (Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit).

I

:D no i was wrong - no raptors...
2x seagate 7200 16mb barracuda

yeah good point about the raid & backup - next thing on my "giving machine some love" list - thx

I'm a pc tech retard to start with. :fool:
However, I am just pretending wisdom when it comes to benchmark tests - all different - often contradicting - out there.
I mean what does it really say about your machine's specific application-performance?
quite nothing, i think.
so far i decided to stick with my "old" system - I'm not going to spend 2000 euros for a new PC only because some benchmark trying to tell me my system is crap now.
Apart from board and cpus I can use all components for a new system anyway...
yes, waiting & some cups of tea is probably a good idea.

Ask a Question