Stunning but deadly

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
It's about 50C in there, but it's the virtually 100% humidity added on top that makes it a potential killer.

That combination means that when you breathe air into your body, the surface of your lungs is actually the coolest surface the air encounters. That means the fluid starts to condense inside your lungs - and that's really not good news.
BBC News

There is a vid on that link, which shows a "rare glimpse" into the very stunning Mexican "Cave of Crystals." Some have grown to more than 10m long to form weird and wonderful columns and structures. Fascinating stuff. :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I happened to watch that same link this morning too. It looks amazing doesn't it :D. It's a real shame that something like this can't be opened for everyone to see.

The caves in the peak district can't compare to that... although one of them does have a very funny name.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
:lol: You have to love that name!! Any idea how it came to be called that? They're not telling on the website.
laughingsmiley.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
laughingsmiley.gif
You have to love that name!! Any idea how it came to be called that? They're not telling on the website.
laughingsmiley.gif

From what I remember, the guide said that it was due to the noises that came from the tunnel and the locals (a long time ago) thought that it was a doorway to hell. Sounds like sensible logic :lol:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hmm... it sounds like I should have called this thread "silent but deadly!!" :p :lol: