stumped by SiS 760 drivers

peter

I bought a new compaq SR1520NX computer with a solomon K8S-LA motherboard
using SiS 760 and 964 chip set.

The default video resolution is set to 1024 x 768 and CANNOT be increased.
Strangely, if I boot up in VGA mode (one of the choices in safe mode menu),
I can change the resolution to higher like 1280 x 1024.

I tried installing video drivers from SiS. Even stranger: it allows setting
1280x1024 mode or higher, but the physical resolution remain 1024 x 768, it
just makes the desktop into a virtual desktop (use mouse to scroll) with the
higher resolution.

Does anyone know how to make this work? I just want to set 1280 x 1024
physically resolution, no virtual desktop.

I have tried setting the monitor type to various different ones to no avail.

neil

Perhaps you need to download drivers from Compaq. Do you know for sure the
monitor supports resolutions higher than 1024x768.

Neil

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi Peter,

I agree with Neil that Please contact Compaq for assistance. I think it is
a driver related issue or it is a feature by design based on my experience.

Thansk for using Microsoft Newsgroup.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com (remove_s)>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
| Subject: Re: stumped by SiS 760 drivers
| Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 11:28:30 GMT
|
| Perhaps you need to download drivers from Compaq. Do you know for sure
the
| monitor supports resolutions higher than 1024x768.
|
| Neil
| | >I bought a new compaq SR1520NX computer with a solomon K8S-LA
motherboard
| >using SiS 760 and 964 chip set.
| >
| > The default video resolution is set to 1024 x 768 and CANNOT be
increased.
| > Strangely, if I boot up in VGA mode (one of the choices in safe mode
| > menu), I can change the resolution to higher like 1280 x 1024.
| >
| > I tried installing video drivers from SiS. Even stranger: it allows
| > setting 1280x1024 mode or higher, but the physical resolution remain
1024
| > x 768, it just makes the desktop into a virtual desktop (use mouse to
| > scroll) with the higher resolution.
| >
| > Does anyone know how to make this work? I just want to set 1280 x 1024
| > physically resolution, no virtual desktop.
| >
| > I have tried setting the monitor type to various different ones to no
| > avail.

Joined
Oct 9, 2005
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Peter-I have the same comp except HP model. Nuke that crap OEM installation of Windows home and all its bloatware with a fresh install. Temporarily use whatever vid drivers winxp decides to use, and go to the SiS site for vid drivers for that chipset (760/964). It's been awhile since I did it, but I know it's there-just look around. The options are WAY better once u do, and u have a few utilities. I highly doubt it's your monitor. If you get it right, your display properties should say this:
651_661FX_741_760_760GX_M661FX_M661MX_M741_M

GL.

Joined
Oct 9, 2005
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
a quick SiS page search led me to this:

http://www.sis.com/download/agreement.php?id=155810

download, un-rar it, and follow the setup.exe within. choose YES to uninstall current driver. if u have any rollback software, might wanna do that beforehand to save yourself a headache. pretty sure it's the one i have.

1280x1024 max. any higher requires vid card.
GL.

Last edited: