Strange Taskbar Folder Icons

I am experiencing a strange issue with the icon used for open folders in
explorer windows on the Windows Taskbar whereby it does not match the icon
for the folder in the address bar.
The icon in the address bar is the standard Vista small folder icon which
looks like an open folder sitting on its end, however the icon used for the
folder's button on the taskbar has a green arrow coming out of it. This is a
somewhat fresh installation of Windows Vista Ultimate and it happens for
every folder in every explorer window that is opened. I have had access to a
number of other computers with Windows Vista Ultimate installed and they do
not exhibit this behaviour. Is there any way of fixing this without requiring
a complete reinstall again?

A screenshot of the issue can be seen here:
http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/8205/taskbarfoldericonsmarkegs9.jpg

dean-dean

What you're seeing is normal, depending on whether or not you have the
Navigation Pane open or not. If you are using the Pane, you'll see the
green-arrow icon. If you close the Pane (under Organize >Layout), and open
a folder, you will see the normal folder icon (without the arrow). In other
words, the default command for "no navigation pane" folders is Open, and the
default command for "show navigation pane" folders is Explore, (which then
uses the green arrow icon in the taskbar, just to let you know you're
Exploring, I guess). Try it both ways...

SWWD

Oh! You're right. I would never have even thought having the Folders pane
expanded would make a difference. I've had that open pretty much since I
first installed.

When I mentioned I'd used many other machines with Vista and they never had
this problem they have all been fresh installs with no customisation which I
guess would not have that pane enabled.

Thank you very much for clearing that up.

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

Glad to hear Dean has provided the explanation and information.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>