Strange Sounds

Reaction score
Hi,

The sound card on my computer has been playing up since i upgraded from Windows 2000 to XP.

The device manager lists it as a "MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device" and there is also "Legacy Audio Drivers"

The sound is different for different formats. MP3 and MPEG sounds like they are underwater. CD and Input Line both sound as if the background noise is amplified and the speech is virtually muted. MPG is almost perfect but things usually amplified, eg: guitar solos, are quitened down.

The problem is not with the speakers as i have tested them on my discman, worked perfectly.

I have checked that the MPU-401 drivers are XP digitally signed, and they appear to be.

Any sugestions on this would be a great help.

Thank you

Nicco.

Reaction score
try downloading drivers from the sound card/chipset manufacturer, sometimes XP's generic drivers are a bit shoddy!

Regards

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
since I upgraded from Windows 2000 to XP
That was your first mistake ... always do a clean-install.

As Techy so rightly pointed out ... you need the correct XP drivers for your sound card.

Reaction score
Thanks alot for that,

I got it working again, and it all sounds sweet as pie!!

Ask a Question