Stop Error 0x00000051 - Registry Scanning Tool?

Mark Hatfield

I have a client that gets Stop Error 0x00000051 when starting. It will not
start in any safe mode or last good configuration. I have tried to
reinstall the operating system over the current install and the installation
gets the same stop error when it searches for a previous version of windows.
I have tried the Recovery Console and ASR. No luck. Same error.

I can take the drive out of the client computer and install it as the D
Drive in another Windows XP machine and access the files on the hard drive.
I can scan it. No errors. But I cannot boot from it or reinstall the OS
over the current OS.

I am getting ready to format the drive and start over, but this has become a
science project for me. Can anyone recommend a good registry checking and
repair tool? I would like to try and scan the registry and see if I can
determine what the problem is.

Thanks,

Mark

William Wang[MSFT]

Hi Mark,

This issue can be either caused by registry
corruption or by hardware problems. If the issue
persists after trying to repair the registry, I
suggest that you unplug all the unnecessary hardware
devices and and start your computer again to see if
the issue still occurs.

Also, you can try an in-place upgrade to see if the
issue can be resolved. Please refer to the following
article for more information:

315341 How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade
(Reinstallation) of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=315341

If anything is unclear, please don't hesitate to
contact us.

Sincerely,

William Wang
Microsoft Online Support Engineer

from your issue.

and confers no rights.

Mark Hatfield

I am fairly sure that it is not a hardware error, because I took the hard
drive out of the computer and put it into another computer. I get the same
error.

Mark

William Wang[MSFT]

Hi Mark,

If you are sure that the hardwares have no problem,
you may want to perform the following steps:

1. Start the Recovery Console.

2. At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the
following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each
line:

cd system32\config
ren system system.old
ren software software.old
ren SAM SAM.old
ren security security.old
ren default default.old
cd \
cd windows\repair
copy system C:\windows\system32\config\system
copy software C:\windows\system32\config\software
copy sam C:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy security C:\windows\system32\config\security
copy default C:\windows\system32\config\default

3. Type "exit" (without the quotation marks) to quit
Recovery Console and then restart the computer.

Can boot into Windows XP?

If anything is unclear, please don't hesitate to let
us know.

Sincerely,

William Wang
Microsoft Online Support Engineer

from your issue.

and confers no rights.

Mark Hatfield

I cannot get to the Recovery Console. The stop error occurs before the
Recovery Console starts.

Mark

William Wang[MSFT]

Hi Mark,

Since you cannot boot into Recovery Console, some
hardware on the computer may be problematic. I
understand that you took the hard drive out of the
computer and put it into another computer and got the
same error, but that does not mean that the hardwares
do not have problems. I highly recommend that you
unplug all unnecessary devices for testing purpose.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please

--------------------

From: "Mark Hatfield" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 08:29:44 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
rrcs-central-204-210-175-130.biz.rr.com
204.210.175.130

I am fairly sure that it is not a hardware error, because I took the hard
drive out of the computer and put it into another computer. I get the same
error.

Mark

"William Wang[MSFT]"
wrote in message
via
cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEED01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP0

Hi William,

I had the same error message Mark has, and I got it solved with the assistance posted. Although I want to know how can I restore my users accounts profiles back again, because there are some of them with folders not accessible by the Administrator.

Thanks a lot, in advance