STOP 0x0000007B after removing primary IDE controller in device manager

S

Samo T

UDMA wasn't working properly, and even though the controller had "Use DMA if available" set, it was still using PIO mode and it wasn't possible to switch to UDMA. Based on an instruction found on the Internet, I uninstalled the driver for the primary IDE controller. This turned out to be a hasty move, as Windows now won't start, and will give a STOP 0x0000007B error (also when attempting Safe Mode). Attempting Last known good seems to start up, but then automatically reboots before getting to the logon screen.

I thought that upon startup Windows would simply re-initialize the controller. The primary and secondary controllers were both using drivers from Microsoft. The master PCI IDE controller was using drivers from Intel, but I did NOT remove that controller from the device manager. I'm thus a bit puzzled about the STOP error.

I have tried some steps from the Recovery Console, such as replacing the system component of the registry in C:\Windows\System32\Config with the file from C:\Windows\Repair. This did not help. I have also tried to disable service related to IDE or to remove the Intel drivers from the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers folder. None of this helped.

Could you please advise
(1) why the STOP error is actually happening;
(2) if it is because the IDE controller was removed from the device manager, which system files need to be restored to get roll back this change;
(3) what possible steps would you propose, other than reinstalling Windows;
(4) if reinstalling Windows is necessary, would an installation "over" the current one preserve files under C:\Documents and Settings.

I realize this is quite a long post, but I thank you in advance for any help and explanation you can provide.

Samo T.

G

In most cases the UDMA mode or PIO mode is set in the BIOS.You might
try to fix youre problem by,booting to xp cd,recovery,type:CHKDSK C: /R
Or try at xp cd boot menu,install xp,repair this copy,all
settings,documents are
left intact,only the updates are removed.

S

Samo T

Thanks for that, but I already reviewed the Microsoft knowledge base articles regarding this STOP error, and while they are helpful, they have not led me to figure out this particular problem.

Is the device manager info stored in the "system" file of the registry, or could the "software", "sam", "security" or "default" files also be affected? Do you think replacing these files from one of the C:\System Volume Information\_restore(...) folders would help?

Thanks,

Samo T.

S

Samo T

I looked everywhere in the BIOS, as I know that there is usually an enable/disable DMA setting, but in this BIOS no such setting was found.

I did run chkdsk with the /p parameter. Can try the /r tomorrow, but I doubt that there are any bad physical sectors...

Thanks,

Samo T.

W

Will Denny

Hi

The Device Manager info. will be spread over the Registry. Replacing any
hive from elsewhere wouldn't be advantageous. I think you need to try a
'Repair' install of XP - which will keep your files, settings and programs
in place.

--

Will Denny
MS MVP Windows Shell/User