STEAM Server Overloaded

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
In all the time I've used Steam - several years at least - I've never had a problem downloading stuff.

But just lately I have had problems.

I'm currently re-installing Win 7 and all my games and when I try to download some games I've purchased online through Steam I'm sometimes getting a message that the Steam server is too busy and would I try a few minutes later?

Anybody else getting this?

I did actually experience this a week or two ago as well.

Seems to me Steam might be a victim of their own popularity, offering all those games cheap.

I would say to Steam 'If you want to make lots of money selling retro games cheap then at least make sure you can supply the bandwidth to deliver the goods'.

I am a bit poxed off with Steam because of this and this is coming from somebody who's previously declared his support for Steam being a good thing.

Truth is, as convenient as online downloading of games is, you really can't beat a hard copy on a disc, imo.

There's also the consideration that those of us on capped bandwidth, doing a fresh Windows install, will lose a sizeable chunk of our monthly bandwidth allowance reloading all our Steam games.

I do like the idea of Steam which means, as long as they don't go bankrupt of course, that we can always have access to our purchased games when logging in.

But they really should sort this server issue out cos it's poxing me off rotten.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Its because of all the deals at the mo. Last day tomorrow though. (Still hoping the Eidos pack is up for cheap! :D )

Could try changing your location to somewhere other than UK, it sometimes helps .:)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for reply V_R.

I did manage to connect again eventually and let my games download overnight.

My bandwidth allowance is 50Gb a month with my current ISP. Yesterday morning it was still at 49.99Gb and now I have only 24Gb left for this month.

The pic below shows what's loaded and only six games were downloaded, the rest installed from disc and updated/patched. FEAR 2 is an odd one though, the install starts from disc but then the majority of it is a download, it actually took all night to install, that one.

The only other games I'll be loading are Race 07 and Monkey Island but they can wait til next month cos I have them installed on another machine and I rarely play Race 07 anyway, it's just a lesser version of GTR Evolution really.

Makes me wonder about purchasing games online in digital form only really. Wouldn't mind if we could download a file and install it but when the game is installed and it's integrated into Steam, if a system fails we have little choice but to eat up lots of bandwidth.

And my ISP charges around a pound a gig for extra bandwidth. Worth thinking about methinks.

attachment.php

Attachments

• steam001.PNG
    steam001.PNG
    183.6 KB · Views: 2,554

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well i've just bought GTA4 and the Eidos pack, DLing GTA atm at a blistering 230kb/s lmao.

Oh i just added you to my Steam Friends btw. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
What's your Steam tag then? V_R?

Oh no, now I'll get 'V_R is playing Left4Dead2' as well as ian :D

What's that Eidos pack? Is it the one with Batman Arkham Asylum in?

If so the Batman game on it's own is probably worth the money. I had my doubts at first but it really is a fine fine game imo. You do need to set the controls to your own preference though, default controls are weird. I was playing it all last night and thoroughly enjoying it.

Suffer the opening cut scenes, they won't last forever and they do set the scene.

There's also a couple of free downloadable maps now, I installed them yesterday, quite good fun.

As for the rest of the Eidos pack, probably some gems in there with all the superfluous stuff.

Flora's Fruit Farm certainly looks interesting ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Flora's Fruit Farm certainly looks interesting ;)
lol, Just seen this.

Going to gift that to the missus, might keep here interested for a bit. :D

Ask a Question