Steam for Linux

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://linuxaria.com/article/news/steam-for-linux-available-for-all-in-less-than-1-week?lang=en

Valve has announced on a private mailing list that the Steam client for Linux beta will be opened to everyone from the coming week, this after an initial launch of a closed beta that lasted about 1 month.
Because of the stability provided by the client of Steam for Linux, Valve has finally decided to open the beta to everyone.
In this regard they indicate in the mailing list:
“The Open Beta will be available to the public and will increase the current population from 80K to a higher number”

:thumb:

The penguins are starting to get armed and dangerous. Time to put the shutters up on windows. :thumb::lol:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Linux at Steam is well under way and running very well apparently. Looks like the penguins are starting to make some headway into the gaming field. Yes a lot of the titles are older games but there are some neat new ones available too. Choice is wonderful. :dance:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTI4MzE

For those owners of the original Half-Life, it's time to fire-up Steam. Valve today released a native Linux port of the original Half-Life game. Yes, the game originally released in 1998.

http://steamforlinux.com/?q=en/node/159

The wave of new games coming to Linux doesn't stop after the release of Steam Beta for Linux. Recently Counter-Stike and X3: Reunion were activated for Linux and can be played on Linux now, even if they are not labeled as such on Steam.But not only older titles are released for Linux. One of the most successful strategy games of the last time, Crusader Kings II, was published for Linux recently.

http://linuxaria.com/recensioni/linux-games-one-late-night?lang=en

One Late Night is a short immersive horror-game experience, released for free for Linux, Mac and WIndows, the basic idea of this game is to put the gamer in a situation similar to something that it could have been in, and also the scenario is just an office, with standard things (and an android figurine), the idea is that the players will relate themselves to the game setting and scenario and become immersed. Even if you can’t relate to the game storyline, you will still get a good experience.

Happy gaming folks. :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://steamforlinux.com/?q=en/node/162

Now Blizzard is intending to give Linux community some love.While all the games of the company run great with CrossOver on Linux, a native Linux version of one of the games would be absolutely sensational. It is supposed that Blizzard already have a working in-house version of World Of Warcraft for Linux. However, World of Warcraft is not the only candidate for a Linux release. StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm is going to be released on the 12th March and is surely an ideal candidate for the company's first Linux title. Another highlight for the Linux community could be Diablo 3 which was released last year.

Happy playful penguins :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm going to be Mr Cynical again and say it shouldn't be 'Steam For Linux' but rather 'Steam for Ubuntu' which, with the way Ubuntu's heading, is a whole different ball game.

Still, it is progress and for every person who migrates away from gaming with Redmond's finest to gaming on an open source-based OS, I will mutter a small but significant chuckle.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I'm going to be Mr Cynical again and say it shouldn't be 'Steam For Linux' but rather 'Steam for Ubuntu' which, with the way Ubuntu's heading, is a whole different ball game.

Still, it is progress and for every person who migrates away from gaming with Redmond's finest to gaming on an open source-based OS, I will mutter a small but significant chuckle.

Taken from the Steam site.PCLinux also has Steam capabilities, do not know why they do not have a package showing below.

Native Steam on Linux Beta Client

openSUSE / SUSE

Install the RPM package for openSUSE. Further information: https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Team_Fortress_2 Gentoo

Inofficial ebuilds are available through gamerlay, progress is tracked on Gentoo Bug 442176. Fedora

RPM packages are available here for Fedora 17 and 18. Also included is an unofficial YUM repo which tracks these packages here. Arch Linux

Packages are available here.

Play on Linux is probably the easiest way to have Steam on GNU/Linux but it does rely on Wine.

http://www.playonlinux.com/en/download.html

Packages

package-pol-generic.png
All distributions
package-pol-archlinux.png
Archlinux
package-pol-debian.png
Debian
package-pol-fedora.png
Fedora
package-pol-frugalware.png
Frugalware
package-pol-ubuntu.png
Ubuntu

Yer right Ubuntu is pushing the Steam thing as they want their distro to be the next Windows.An gaining a foothold in gaming will give them some leverage.

However if they do the hard work then it will be relatively easy to port Steam to other GNU/Linux os's.

I personally would appreciate a chance to play some of my Steam games in Arch. Re-booting to 7 just to play is a pain.

Looking at the bigger picture. If game makers support GNU/Linux as well as they do for Windows then I recon that is a good thing as choice is always welcome.Looking around the world many countries have a very strong GNU/Linux following and we are talking millions of users not just a few hundred. If they can be given a smooth gaming experience with some modern titles on GNU/Linux then game makers will make some serious money.

:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Sorry, won't even entertain Wine, that's like having a bath with your boots on, as I've probably said before. Probably ;)

Still, things are moving in the right direction, here's hoping :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Using Wine is not an emulator to play games on Linux is not the same as playing games in Linux. :)

Most of the games that have remotely interested me that play natively in Linux, are a bit naff.

Good luck to the game developers that wish to use that platform. :sleep:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Well I just installed Steam on me Arch 64. Once opened it gave me HL Beta took an hour to download. Loaded and I played the Training Section. Graphics great,speed of loading fast.Only glitch is no sound. I get a message telling me I need a "locale" for the US setting but I just ignored that and the game played ok.
So a thumbs up for Linux Steam.

I'll post back when and if I get sound going.

:D

Ask a Question