Startup screen scramble

Robert Surujbhan

Hi guys

Fresh install of XP on a 1.5ghz AMD system. Installs fine.
On the final boot (regular XP boot ), right after the XP Pro splash screen,
right before it goes to the bright blue screen "Windows is starting up...",
the screen SCRAMBLES and halts. You can see pieces of the bright blue in
the back, but it is pixelized and all over the place.

Any ideas?

If I hold in PWR and let the machine shut down, boot up again, I can boot
into Safe Mode perfectly. (right now im in safe mode with networking
applying Windows update patches and some driver updates). I also have
installed the VIA Hyperion drivers, but that didnt help.

BIOS settings are also at default. I thought it might be a graphics
problem, but, any ideas???

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Robert,
sounds like a video issue to me.
Possibly resolution, maybe refresh.
Can you boot into VGA mode?
Safe mode uses the SVGA driver not the installed video driver.
If You can boot into VGA Mode( This uses the installed video driver at
640x480x256 colors at 50 hrtz), then one of the video settings are set to
high and need to be changed. Right_click on the desktop and choose
properties, then choose settings.
Change the video to 640x480x 256 colors. Then pick advanced and then
monitor. Change the refresh rate down to 50.
Now try to boot normally and see if it works. If it does change the video
settings one at a time to optimize the system again.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]