From: (e-mail address removed) (Paul Hopper)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
Subject: Startup Programs
Date: 15 Apr 2004 18:15:27 -0700

In windows 2000 professional, I installed a program (MSN messenger) as
Administrator and configured it to start when the computer starts,
which it does as it should when I log on as Administrator. However, it
will not start when the computer starts for other users of the
computer who do not have administrator priviliges. In System
Information under Software Environment, Startup Programs under User
Name, it says that MSN Messenger will only start at startup for the
Administrator. Other programs that were installed by the Administrator
are listed to start at startup for All Users The other programs that
do run at startup for All Users are Norton Internet Security,
Synchronization Manager, and Intel PROset. How can I change the User
Name for MSN Messenger from Administrator to All Users?
-----

When you installed MSN Messenger did it ever ask if you wanted to install it for this user only or for all users? The reason
you see what you do in System Information is the entry to start MSN Messenger as added to the Startup group or Run key
in the registry for the Administrator profile and not the Startup group for the All Users profile.

You should be able to check where it is with the Location colume in System Information. If it is the Startup group then you
will want to copy the shortcut from Administrator profile to the same location in the All Users profile. If it is in a Run key we
will need to add the entry from HKEY_CURRENT_USER, profile specific, to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, All Users.

Hope this helps.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Paul Hopper

--------------------
-----

When you installed MSN Messenger did it ever ask if you wanted to install it for this user only or for all users? The reason
you see what you do in System Information is the entry to start MSN Messenger as added to the Startup group or Run key
in the registry for the Administrator profile and not the Startup group for the All Users profile.

You should be able to check where it is with the Location colume in System Information. If it is the Startup group then you
will want to copy the shortcut from Administrator profile to the same location in the All Users profile. If it is in a Run key we
will need to add the entry from HKEY_CURRENT_USER, profile specific, to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, All Users.

Hope this helps.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support
Thanks for the info. No, the program never asked me what users I
wanted to install it for. However, I found the registry entry in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER, so I created an identical entry in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, and now it works for other users.

Thanks,

- Paul

Bill Peele [MS]