Startup Programs have been blocked?

Paul H

I'm still attempting to get my Laptop set up, thus my posting my question in
this "installation_setup" Newsgroup. When the pre-installed Vista Home
Premium on my new Acer Laptop starts up, it says some "Startup Programs"
have been blocked. The programs it displays as "Not Yet Classified" mean
nothing to me. I have no qualification or knowledge that enables me to
make any kind of decision about these cryptic programs. "Acer eAP Launch
Tool", "Launcher.exe", "Acer Launch Manager", and "eDataSecurity" are the
names that Windows Defender displays as "Not Yet Classified" - many others
say "Permitted". Does a setting exist that will let Vista decide and quit
nagging me about something I can't correct?
Thanks, Paul

Paul H

If these pre-installed programs (not all of which are Acer) are not an
issue, why are they being blocked". Or are you just making fun of my
sincere question?

==================

<.> wrote in message
So you are unable to recognise your laptop as an Acer brand?

==================

Most likely because they attempt to do something that may be dangerous. As
they come from the hardware manufacturer most programs like that do things
that a stupid computer may consider to be dangerous. Remember computers are
dumb. Whoever writes the simple rules (and there may be many rules but this
only gives an illusion of complexity) has to balance protecting without
raising false positives.

A normal window's program has no access to hardware as all real world
interaction is virtualised.

Acer obviously wants access to hardware or parts of windows concerned with
hardware, which makes sense as they are most likely hardware utility
programs.

You just need to use some brains as you are smart and able to make decisions
with imperfect data unlike your computer. Your laptop is Acer so software
with Acer in the name is probably ok. Ditto with other files - look for a
link with the hardware (as preinstalled software is usually concerned with
hardware) your laptop is built from and the file names. Many may be crptic
so also look at what folder they are installed to and also check the
Properties. EG I have Realtek onboard audio. I noticed a file called
RtlUpd.exe. I find file and look at Properties and it says it about my
Realtek audio, it's in a folder called realtek. I guess with high confidence
file is ok. And read your motherboard/laptop manual so you know what
components are in your computer.

Below is what help says for you to do.

Not yet classified
Programs that are typically benign unless they are installed on your
computer without your knowledge.
If you recognize and trust the software, allow it to run. If you do not
recognize the software or the publisher, review the alert details to decide
how to take action. If you're a SpyNet community member, check the community
ratings to see if other users trust the software.

Rock

Paul H said:
I'm still attempting to get my Laptop set up, thus my posting my question
in
this "installation_setup" Newsgroup. When the pre-installed Vista Home
Premium on my new Acer Laptop starts up, it says some "Startup Programs"
have been blocked. The programs it displays as "Not Yet Classified" mean
nothing to me. I have no qualification or knowledge that enables me to
make any kind of decision about these cryptic programs. "Acer eAP Launch
Tool", "Launcher.exe", "Acer Launch Manager", and "eDataSecurity" are the
names that Windows Defender displays as "Not Yet Classified" - many others
say "Permitted". Does a setting exist that will let Vista decide and quit
nagging me about something I can't correct?

Programs are blocked by Defender at startup if they are doing something that
requires admin privileges.

Error message when you reach the Windows Vista Desktop: "Windows has blocked
some startup programs"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930367/en-us

If you want to know what the programs are/do, Google for them or contact
Acer tech support.

Paul H

Yup, I knew most of what you said. The "Launcher.exe" hits on Google were
not clear to me, however, and I fear that if I allow those Acer programs to
run, they will start another process that I neither need or want.. My take
is if these programs are being blocked, I'm probably doing OK without them.
Or maybe their absence are causing other grief I'm enduring. I miss XP Pro,
where I could avoid issues like this! I stopped using Zone Alarm, because
it constantly made me make choices like this!

Paul H said:
[...]

I'm not familiar with Acer laptops, but much of these types of apps that OEM
vendors supply are not essential. To be sure check with Acer tech support.

run1222

yes i get same block and I allow but it keeps coming back next time i
boot up. how do I allow for good as its a good program scansoft pdf
reader update.On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 20:03:07 -0600, "Paul H"

pete

I have an Acer laptop.......running XP
those are ACER programs for things like reinstalling Applications from the
hidden Partition,Making a Partition Secure by means of encryption..etc etc.
Take a look at them and see if you ever would use them..
They can be stopped from starting by clicking start/run..type in msconfig
and under the startup tab uncheck them.
They can also be uninstalled individually ..the instructions are on the Acer
website.
I have a few off them unchecked ..
peter

Paul H

I, on the other hand, want to NOT ALLOW, permanently, but not necessarily
delete the programs. I'll try to go into the startup folder and move these
programs somewhere else for safe keeping.

run1222 said:
yes i get same block and I allow but it keeps coming back next time i
boot up. how do I allow for good as its a good program scansoft pdf
reader update.

You can't allow it permanently, not if it is requesting admin privileges on
startup. I see no reason why that updater has to run with Admin privileges,
anyway. Why do you want it to run each time at startup anyway? Uncheck
it's entry in msconfig and just run the update occasionally.

See that KB article I referenced above.

mikeyhsd

if you are not familiar with acer laptops, then maybe you should not try to answer questions about them.
..

(e-mail address removed)@sport.rr.com

Paul H said:
[...]

Lol, give it up. If you have something of value to contribute to the OP,
then post to them.
Still smarting from our previous discussion in windowsxp.general? Get over
it.

Paul H said:
[...]

Adam Albright

Lol, give it up. If you have something of value to contribute to the OP,
then post to them.
Still smarting from our previous discussion in windowsxp.general? Get over
it.

I'm waiting for a certain unnamed MVP that rhymes with sock to get
over his swollen head ailment. Needing to crosspost to respond to a
flame. Priceless!

Paul H said:
I'm still attempting to get my Laptop set up, thus my posting my question in
this "installation_setup" Newsgroup. When the pre-installed Vista Home
Premium on my new Acer Laptop starts up, it says some "Startup Programs"
have been blocked. The programs it displays as "Not Yet Classified" mean
nothing to me. I have no qualification or knowledge that enables me to
make any kind of decision about these cryptic programs. "Acer eAP Launch
Tool", "Launcher.exe", "Acer Launch Manager", and "eDataSecurity" are the
names that Windows Defender displays as "Not Yet Classified" - many others
say "Permitted". Does a setting exist that will let Vista decide and quit
nagging me about something I can't correct?
Thanks, Paul

Paul what is the model number of your acer .. i might be able to help you out

mikeyhsd

still waiting for you to have something useful to contribute to the original poster.

Paul H said:
[...]

Acer Aspire 5610Z, or 5610-2273 on the paper that is stuck on the front edge
of the laptop and lists the features.

Paul H said:
[...]

I did, but you certainly haven't. You haven't posted one thing to the OP to
help them out. Maybe you need to take your own advice?