Start up

Pete

My computer (Dell Inspiron 4100) has been freezing up on
start with the following message after a scan disc at the
next start up:
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is FAT32.

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You
may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended
that you continue.
Windows will now check the disk.
Volume Serial Number is 07D0-0A0D
\WINDOWS\Prefetch\WKSSB.EXE-01DCAEEA.pf first allocation
unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
\WINDOWS\Prefetch\WKDETECT.EXE-317B1611.pf first
allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
\WINDOWS\Prefetch\PCTSPK.EXE-3B895960.pf first
allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
\WINDOWS\Prefetch\LLSCHED.EXE-27016BE2.pf first
allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
\WINDOWS\Prefetch\NKVMON.EXE-17A97CA1.pf first
allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\etc\hosts.ics first allocation
unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
Convert lost chains to files (Y/N)? Yes
672 KB in 30 recovered files.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.
19525456 KB total disk space.
734848 KB in 1016 hidden files.
39312 KB in 2193 folders.
10679808 KB in 61897 files.
16 KB in bad sectors.
8071456 KB are available.

16384 bytes in each allocation unit.
1220341 total allocation units on disk.
504466 allocation units available on disk.
Am I in jeopardy of having a total melt down??

cybrwurm

+
/ Topic > Re: Start up / 5aug03 /
/ Newsgroup > microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics /
..
My computer (Dell Inspiron 4100) has been freezing up on
start with the following message after a scan disc at the
next start up: Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is FAT32.
..
Hi, Pete. It would appear that your copy of xp is every bit
as finicky as mine is. In my case the installation process
itself caught the hard-drive error (actually a partition error)
just before it was ready to pronounce itself finished and
complete. Very aggravating, yes. It meant that I had to go
right back to square one, and start the whole bloody process
all over again. OW!
..
One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency.
[snip much]
..
This is your xtra-putrid talking, so you better listen up,
buster! LOL ... HDD errors are VERY not good. You are
certainly looking at some very serious major-surgery in
the very near future.
..
Windows has made corrections to the file system.
..
Doubtful. [snip]
..
Am I in jeopardy of having a total melt down??
..
I should think so, yes, since the best solution is to
format your HDD and then let your xp-cd put its own
proper file-system onto a clean disk. This procedure
will surely save you a lot of grief in the long run!
..
Try to save your files first, of course. :D
..
- one who hits xp with axe - cybrwurm ;>