-----Original message-----
From: JamesJ [mailto:jjy@adelphia_darwin.net]
Sent: 16. oktober 2007 13:12
Sent to: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Discussion: Start Menu Headache
Subject: Start Menu Headache

in news message:
Is there 1 place I can go to that will reflect all items
I see in the start menu?????

Actually, there are two places you'll have to visit.

You can edit the Start menu by manipulating the shortcuts and subfolders
you find here:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
C:\Users\%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start
Menu\Programs

The first folder contains Start menu items all users can see, the second
one contains elements only available to the specified user account. In
order to edit the first folder, you will have to run as administrator.

Charlie42

JamesJ

The thing that bugs me is
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
don't contain items that are in
C:\Users\%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start
Menu\Programs and visa versa.
Is there a way I might combine these two so they reflect the same items??

Thanks
James

Sent to: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Discussion: Start Menu Headache
Subject: Re: Start Menu Headache

The thing that bugs me is
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
don't contain items that are in
C:\Users\%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start
Menu\Programs and visa versa.
Is there a way I might combine these two so they reflect the same
items??

You can move all shortcuts and folders in %UserProfile%\... to the
corresponding folders in ProgramData\... This will leave the folder in
%UserProfile% empty, and all your programs will be available in the
Start menu for any user of the computer.

Charlie42

Sent to: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Discussion: Start Menu Headache

in news message:
Is there 1 place I can go to that will reflect all items
I see in the start menu?????

Actually, there are two places you'll have to visit.

You can edit the Start menu by manipulating the shortcuts and subfolders
you find here:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
C:\Users\%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start
Menu\Programs

The first folder contains Start menu items all users can see, the second
one contains elements only available to the specified user account. In
order to edit the first folder, you will have to run as administrator.

Charlie42

JamesJ

I'll give it a shot.

Thanks much,