Staroffice to Wordperfect

Michael Anderson

I have an older computer with Sun Microsoft's Staroffice.
How can I transfer these documents to my new Dell computer
with the latest version of word perfect. I have tried
mailing, copying to a 3 1/2 disk. The new computer cannot
read without the Staroffice software.

Thanks

Jim Macklin

WordPerfect is a Corel, not a MS product. You might look on
Corel's web site for Star Office converters.

"Michael Anderson" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
| I have an older computer with Sun Microsoft's Staroffice.
| How can I transfer these documents to my new Dell computer
| with the latest version of word perfect. I have tried
| mailing, copying to a 3 1/2 disk. The new computer cannot
| read without the Staroffice software.
|
| Thanks

Ken Blake

In
Michael Anderson said:
I have an older computer with Sun Microsoft's Staroffice.
How can I transfer these documents to my new Dell computer
with the latest version of word perfect. I have tried
mailing, copying to a 3 1/2 disk. The new computer cannot
read without the Staroffice software.

Are you unable to get the files to the computer or having done
that, you are unable to get WordPerfect to open them? How are you
trying to read them in WordPerfect and what happens when you try?
If you get an error message, please quote it verbatim.

If you can get the file and you're trying to open the files by
double-clicking on them, it's probable that you don't have an
appropriate association set for them. In that case, just start
WordPerfect and open the files from File | Open.

If that doesn't work, what extension are the files? Have the
appropriate filters to read files of that type been installed in
WordPerfect?

CS

I have an older computer with Sun Microsoft's Staroffice.
How can I transfer these documents to my new Dell computer
with the latest version of word perfect. I have tried
mailing, copying to a 3 1/2 disk. The new computer cannot
read without the Staroffice software.

StarOffice will save documents in MS Office format or rich text.
Suggest you save the documents in either *.DOC or *.RTF. Wordperfect
will be able to read both of those formats. Using a 3.5" floppy is
an exercise in futility. Use one of those removable USB flash drives
to transfer the files or if you have a CD burner, use that instead.

I don't have MS Office format or rich text on my old
computer and all I get is .SDW files which cannot be read
by any microsoft related software. Has anyone actually
had Staroffice and made the transfer to Wordperfect?

Ken,
I have tried mailing the documents to another computer
with windows xp and the computer does not like the .sdw at
the end of my documents. I have tried to save the
documents in another format (text only) but cannot figure
out how to do this with Staroffice. Windows xp tells me
to search the internet for the software to open my files
but I don't want to have to purchase Staroffice for my new
computer to open old text documents.

CS

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 18:26:18 -0800,

You must have a very old version of StarOffice then. Version 5.2
which I have will read and save to *.DOC and *.RTF. If you can't
save the documents in a compatible format that Wordperfect can read,
you won't be able to open them. As a last resort, save the documents
in plain text which can be universally read. Of course you'll lose
all formatting.

Jim Macklin

WordPerfect IS NOT a Microsoft product. Get support for
your Corel product
here
http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Corel/Support/support&id=1044024717129

Get Star Office users group help here
http://www.staroffice.com/

http://support.staroffice.com/index.php?c=1

wrote in message
| I have an older computer with Sun Microsoft's Staroffice.
| How can I transfer these documents to my new Dell computer
| with the latest version of word perfect. I have tried
| mailing, copying to a 3 1/2 disk. The new computer cannot
| read without the Staroffice software.
|
| Thanks

Ken Blake

In (e-mail address removed)
I have tried mailing the documents to another computer
with windows xp and the computer does not like the .sdw at
the end of my documents.

No, it's not the computer that doesn't like the .sdw, nor is it
Windows XP; neither of those care what the file type is. It's the
software you're trying to open the files with--in this case,
WordPerfect--that doesn't like the .sdw.

Programs can only open file types that they've been coded to
recognize and understand. I'm not personally familiar with
StarOffice, nor with .sdw files, but apparently WordPerfect
doesn't know what to do with such files (or else you haven't
installed the appropriate conversion filter for it to process
..sdw files).

I have tried to save the
documents in another format (text only) but cannot figure
out how to do this with Staroffice. Windows xp tells me
to search the internet for the software to open my files
but I don't want to have to purchase Staroffice for my new
computer to open old text documents.

Then, assuming you still have the old computer with StarOffice,
you need to figure out how to save the files in one of the
standard formats that WordPerfect knows about--its own .wpd
format, the Microsoft Word .doc format, .txt, .rtf, etc.

In most word processing programs, you do that with the "Save as"
command. If that doesn't work, sorry, but not knowing StarOffice,
I have no other information to help you. You'll need to find
someone who knows StarOffice.

Please reply to the newsgroup