standby question

RB

If I configure XP power scheme to goto system standby after x hours,
does it also turn off hard drives or do I have to set that separately above?
Additionally if I do set hard drives off (separate from system standby),
will they still "wake up" on system activity ?

RB

"Andy" wrote in message
Yes, no, yes.
Thanks for the reply Andy, I experimented with my machine and if I additionally
set the hard drives to turn off then the whole system shuts down and I have to
turn it back on.
I have also read
electric motors the 'Start up' stress from repeated startups from a dead rotor state,
would actually shorten the life span of the drive, not to mention twice the power
consumption on startup as opposed to cruising. Not sure on this yet, appreciate
any input from you or others on this.
Actually before the Green Power conservation thing got started, I remember when
I got my first computer in 1990 that they were saying that the motherboards and
circuit chips would actually last longer if you left your computer running all the time.
It prevented the "chip creep" from heat up and cool down. But obviously this would
not apply throughout all scenarios of fan bearings and motor bearings ?

RB

UPDATE, (original poster of question)
I have experiementd with the machine of question (which is the wired node on
wireless LAN ) . I have set the OS power settings on STANDBY after 1 hour,
shut down drives to NEVER, shut down monitor after 20mins.
I also set the AMI bios to STANDBY with wake on LAN, KEYBOARD AND MOUSE.
But it is not waking when I try to print from my laptop ?
It does print if I wake it with the mouse first ?
I guess the system is not communicating as planned.

RB

2nd UPDATE, (original poster of question)
I'm trying something else. I noticed my AMI bios setup has two power mode
settings. Mine was on S3 which appears to loose all system context except
ram. I have set it to S1 which holds more system context. I will see now if
my LAN will wake it after one hour.
Also (please correct if errant) but it appears that the power system is a 2
part
dependent system between the OperatingSystem and the hardware Bios.
Without support on both sides there is none.