Stand By Option Missing

Jeff

When I go to start/shutdow there are only 2 options.
Restart and shutdown. The Stand By option is greyed out
and not usuable. How do I get the Stand By option to
work? I'm running XP Professional.

Thanks.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

The Standby button will become available once the correct video
card/adapter drivers are installed. It will appear when you click
Start > Turn Off Computer...

Visit the support website of the manufacturer of your video card or
video card adapter, search for the latest Windows XP compatible
drivers, download and install them.

If you have a notebook computer, visit the website of the manufacturer
of your notebook computer to obtain the video adapter drivers.

Then right-click on your Desktop and select:
Properties > Setting and adjust your Screen Resolution
settings, then select "Highest (32 bit) Color Quality setting,
and click "apply".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Jeff" wrote:

When I go to start/shutdow there are only 2 options.
| Restart and shutdown. The Stand By option is greyed out
| and not usuable. How do I get the Stand By option to
| work? I'm running XP Professional.
|
| Thanks.

Jeff

Thank Carey for your quick response. How do I find out
who the manufacturere of my video card is? When I go to
the device manager there are yellow question marks and
exclamation marks next to the video device. Can I just
remove it and have XP try to restall it when I reboot?

Thanks.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Turn-off your computer and disconnect the power cord from your PC.

Open the computer and look for any visual identification directly
off of the video card or motherboard. Many times you can find the
manufacturer name, model, serial number, and/or other unique
identifications that can be used to identify the type of video card
or video chipset you have.

If you have an onboard video chip, visit the support website of the
manufacturer of your computer or motherboard to obtain the correct
video drivers. If you have an AGP video card, then visit the support
website of the manufacturer of the video card to obtain the drives.

Examples:

NVIDIA video card drivers:

ATI video card drivers (catalyst):
http://www.ati.com/

Deleting the video drivers in Device Manager won't do any good
since XP will reinstall them and you still will not have the Standby
option. XP usually installs a generic VGA driver for video cards.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Jeff" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

| Thank Carey for your quick response. How do I find out
| who the manufacturere of my video card is? When I go to
| the device manager there are yellow question marks and
| exclamation marks next to the video device. Can I just
| remove it and have XP try to restall it when I reboot?
|
| Thanks.

Carey,
Thanks for replying to this post. I just downloaded and
installed/reinstalled the video driver file for my Dell 5100 laptop, and the
Stand By button on close down, as well as the Hibernate tab in Power Options
reappeared!
Excellent. Thanks again.
Jason