Spoolsv.exe Crashes

Fraser Dickson

All,

I wonder if anyone could help. Occasionally while running
print jobs I get the following error:

Runtime Error!
Program C:\Winnt\System32\Spoolsv.exe

Abnormal Program Termination

Can anyone assist? I have been advised to check the Dr
Watson log (drwtsn32.log) however this does not appear to
be produced when this crashes!

Please help!
Thanks
Fraser

I am also experiencing this problem on a number for users in my company. Somehow the print spooler service stops for no reason and I cannot seem to fix the problem. If I go into Services in Windows 2000 and start the spooler, everything appears to be working. I need to get this problem fixed.

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: "Fraser Dickson" <[email protected]>
Subject: Spoolsv.exe Crashes
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 07:00:02 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing

All,

I wonder if anyone could help. Occasionally while running
print jobs I get the following error:

Runtime Error!
Program C:\Winnt\System32\Spoolsv.exe

Abnormal Program Termination

Can anyone assist? I have been advised to check the Dr
Watson log (drwtsn32.log) however this does not appear to
be produced when this crashes!

Please help!
Thanks
Fraser
---

Fraser,

The most common causes of the Print Spooler service stopping are printer drivers, third-party custom port monitors and
third-party print providers. If a new printer or printer driver was added recently try removing it to see what happens.

Check the following registry key for third-party monitors, removing any non-default monitors after exporting the key as a
backup:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors

The default port monitors are:

AppleTalk Printing Devices (When Services for Macintosh is installed)
BJ Language Monitor
Local Port
PJL Language Monitor
Standard TCP/IP Port
USB Monitor
Windows NT Fax Monitor
LPR Port

Check the following registry key for third-party print providers, removing any non-default print providers after exporting the
key as a backup:

KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Providers

The default print providers are:

Internet Print Provider
LanMan Print Services

We would then need to stop and restart the Print Spooler service for these changes to take affect.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Fraser Dickson

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the info. I currently use a 3rd Party printing
solution (with their own print processor etc.)

I notice in the event log that there is an error stating:

"Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction
response from the Spooler service."

I am using Standard TCP/IP as the port, can the registry
be changed (safely) so that this timeout can be increased?

If you have any more ideas that would be greatly
appreciated!

Thanks,
Fraser