Spell Check

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Ryan,

Not much information to go on. Can you be more specific on the issues you're having?

==========
Is there going to be an Office update that fixes the problems with the spell
check in Word 2007?>>
--

Bob Buckland ?:)
MS Office System Products MVP

Ryan

Is there going to be an Office update that fixes the problems with the spell
check in Word 2007?

Herb Tyson [MVP]

What problems are you having? We're using Word 2007 on 5 different
computers, and spelling is working fine on all of them. Is there something I
should be having problems with that I'm not noticing?

Ryan

When I type, a word is not recognized as being misspelled. No red underline
and no recognition when i try and spell check with f7 or the regular spell
check button in word. My spell check works fine in other programs like
onenote. Any ideas?

Katy

I'm having a similar problem. My spell check doesn't work in any of my
Office programs. In my current word document, I checked to see if the "Do
not check spelling or grammar" box was checked and it was not. I have set it
so that the language is not automatically detected (it is set to English),
and I have checked the box that says "Check spelling as you type". None of
these things worked. What else can I try?

Word 2007 spell check problem

I'm having some problem with fixing the word 2007 spell check. I have not
found a fix yet. I've tried to reinstalling office or just word, notting.
I've tried to delete the registry key, nothing works. I need your help....

Herb Tyson [MVP]

"I'm having some problem with fixing the word 2007 spell check" does not
tell us anything about what your problem is. It's like going to the doctor
and saying "I have a problem" and then expecting a diagnosis without your
telling the MD anything further.

WHAT problem are you having?

Reinstalling Office/Word almost *never* fixes any problems... unless you've
reformatted your HD and reinstalled Windows, as well... and that's usually a
bit drastic.

I would try the steps shown here (updating for Word 2007, of course) to see
if any of them helps:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ProbsOpeningWord.htm

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

Jerry W

I'm also having problems with spell check in Word 2007. It just simply quit
checking the spelling. After a couple of embarrassments from spelling errors
in documents sent out, I discovered that spell check would indicate "spell
check complete" but it had not checked the document.

This is another example of the kinds of problems I've had with Windows
Vista (70+ hours resolving problems with one 6 hour online session with a
Microsoft technician) and other Windows 2007 products, including OneNote.

Jerry W

Better double check your documents in Word 2007! I discovered that despite
Spell Check indicating it had completed checking my document, it is not
checking spelling at all. I even entered spelling errors intentionally and it
fails to pick them up...

Ryan

My spell check worked before a few weeks ago. I called Microsoft and they
told me that they couldnt help me because i did not by the product directly
from them. I called HP which was the suggestion from the Microsoft employee
and HP couldnt help either. The problem started after the program had been
working fine for months. The spell check settings and everything are fine.
Any more ideas?
Thanks

Josh

Has this been resolved yet. I cannot live without spell check. It works on my
desktop and not on my laptop. Please help.

Kristen

I have also printed out the information provided by Suzanne followed it
step-by-step and it is still failing to recognise any misspelt words in any
document using the Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 suite.

It will however, pick up any grammar errors e.g. the cat sat on the het. It
will pick up the should be The but het will not be picked up and corrected to
hat. In the spelling and grammar box that generates it only has a check box
for check grammar (which is ticked) but there is no check spelling box like
my previous version of Office XP.

Also, I believe this only started a couple of weeks ago when I went to
change the default language from English (United States) to English
(Australia). I was then getting an error message "Cannot find proofing tools
for English (Australia). If you have the proofing tools, try installing or
re-installing them. Contact your local reseller to obtain Office Proofing
tools. For more information, see the Microsoft Office Site." I then changed
it back to English (United States) and although the error message goes away
it is still not checking the spelling.

I'm desperate for fix, so any suggestions will be most welcome although it
sounds like a few people are having the same problem.

Kristen

Further to my e-mail I have also found another forum on this topic and it was
suggested to check the following:

"In some cases in an upgrade installation to Office 2007 from Office
2003, the spellcheck files do not get installed. Look in your
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof" folder to see
whether the MSSP3EN.LEX and MSSP3ENA.LEX files are present. If not,
then reinstall the English proofing tools feature from your Office 2007
CD. "

I upgraded from Microsoft XP Professional to Microsoft Office Enterprise
2007. When I go to reinstall these files I get an error 1713. Setup cannot
install one of the required products for Microsoft Office Proof (English)
2007.

Could this be why I have a spell check missing and how do I go about
resolving this issue?

Kristen

I have repeated the process again for French and Spanish proofing tools (this
are the other two languages that came with my disk) and then misspelt common
French and Spanish and the dictionary is working for these languages. It
appears with the error 1713 message- English proofing tools are not been
installed at all. What would you suggestions be to fix this?

pensio

Hi,

After reading from the thread, the problem is not quite clear but I assume
that your English US speller does not work. I also assume that English
speller works fine in other applications. If this is true,your English
speller got disabled in Word. This happened because English speller crashed
sometimes and there was a message asking if you would like to disable the
speller so this crash will not happen and you might accidentally click yes.
Here is an easy fix:

1. Click Office icon > Word Options > Add-Ins
2. At the bottom, select Disabled Items from Manage drop down box > Go
3. Msspell6.dll or some speller files display > select it and click Enable
4. Exit Word and relaunch Word

English speller should work now. Let me know if it does not work.

pensio

One more thing, if it still does not work, please try delete the following
registry key.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing
Tools\1.0

pensio

1. From Start button > Run
2. Type regedit
3. Goto HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\1.0

You might want to rename 1.0 to something like 1.0 old if you don't want to
lose your custom dictionary.