Speech Recognition

W. Guy Delaney

I am running Windows XP Professional on a Pentium II PC with a 350MGh
processor. I am also running Microsoft Office XP.

When I open any of the Office Suite programs, such as Word, I get the
message "Speech Recognition requires a 400 MHz computer with 128 MB if
memory."

My computer has 256 MB of memory.

I do not want to use Speech Recognition and would like to eliminate the
message mention above. How can I keep this message from appearing every time
I open Word or Excel or Access or Publisher, etc.?

TF

Run Office Setup and remove the Speech Recognition component.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

:
: When I open any of the Office Suite programs, such as Word, I get the
: message "Speech Recognition requires a 400 MHz computer with 128 MB if
: memory."
:
: My computer has 256 MB of memory.
:
: I do not want to use Speech Recognition and would like to eliminate the
: message mention above. How can I keep this message from appearing every
time
: I open Word or Excel or Access or Publisher, etc.?
:
:

W. Guy Delaney

I used my Office CD to get to Office Setup, where I choose "Add or Remove
Features--Change which features are installed or remove specific features."

I looked at all the options under "Office Shared Features" and "Office
Tools." I did not find "Speech Recognition" but I did find "Alternative User
Input" which had two options under it: "Speech" and "Handwriting." I removed
both, restarted my computer, and got the same message: "Speech Recognition
requires a 400 MHz computer with 128 MB of memory."

Can you tell me more specifically how to remove "Speech Recognition"?

TF

You should initiate Office Setup from the Control Panel, Add/Remove
Programs, select Office and choose Change. Then find the Alternative Users
Input and choose the Not Available option. Setup with then remove the
add-in.

Terry

: "TF" <terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom> wrote in message
: : > Run Office Setup and remove the Speech Recognition component.
: >
: > --
: > Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: > http://word.mvps.org/
: >
: > : > :I am running Windows XP Professional on a Pentium II PC with a 350MGh
: > : processor. I am also running Microsoft Office XP.
: > :
: > : When I open any of the Office Suite programs, such as Word, I get the
: > : message "Speech Recognition requires a 400 MHz computer with 128 MB if
: > : memory."
: > :
: > : My computer has 256 MB of memory.
: > :
: > : I do not want to use Speech Recognition and would like to eliminate
the
: > : message mention above. How can I keep this message from appearing
every
: > time
: > : I open Word or Excel or Access or Publisher, etc.?
: > :
: > :
: >
: >
:
:

TF

Thanks for that. Never having had a problem with it I had not realised it
was necessary to edit the registry too. Guess this is a sort of secondary
bug with disabling the feature!

Terry

: Thanks for the help. I also found an excellent article in the Microsoft
: Knowlwedge Base at
:
http://www.support.microsoft.com/se...on&QuerySource=gsfxSearch_Query&srchExtraQry=
: Titled How To Turn Off the Speech Recognition and Handwriting Recognition
: Features in Office XP. This article goes a couple of steps beyond what you
: suggest.
:
:
[...]
: > : >
: > : > Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: > : > http://word.mvps.org/
: > : >
: > : > : > : > :I am running Windows XP Professional on a Pentium II PC with a
350MGh
: > : > : processor. I am also running Microsoft Office XP.
: > : > :