space on C drive

Reaction score
whats up all ... i am running out of space on my C drive and i was wondering if there was a way to have stuff in my program files but not have them on my C drive. when i install something can i have all the files installed to my d drive but have a shortcut in my program files ... it would be easy that way becuz i dont show my desktop icons and i dont put icons on my desktop ... i think that if i would do that it would just get full of icons and i like to be organized i guess ... i have a 80 gig hd ... c: is 20, d: is 30, e: is 27 ( got robbed of some gigs anyways) thanks in advance

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You can install things on any drive, but you can't just move them when they are already installed generally speaking. Next time you install a game or application, just point it to the D drive and install it there.

Its always good to have some free space on your main drive so it has a bit of breathing space.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
In my opinion 15% is not enough on C: its not just defragging that you do but there are other things as well which need space on C drive, for instance the paging file, size of which depends on the ram you have on your machine. Besides one needs to install programs as time passes. I personally would leave at least 40% all the time and if things become busy would go for a change. Other partitions can be fuller to the extent of 80% but certainly not the C: Drive.

Just how I personally do things and thats what I have suggested, to each his own :)

Reaction score
thanks for the replys ... so i cant really move my programs to the D: so i would have to uninstall them to get more space huh. hhmmm ... ill think about that for a while

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
My 'rule of thumb' is a little simpler ... leave a quarter of the C drive free.

With the advent of Windows XP and NTFS file system there is no need to use partitions ... partitioning can make life a little easier on drives of 100gig or more. I always give XP 80gig min to ‘play’ with. ;)

You can un-install and re-install your programes to drive D ... in the case of Office you will still "see" all your data on the C drive. :thumb:

:D

Ask a Question