SP2 Release Schedule

Chad Harris

This is the release timetable--from bink.nu. One reason for the
delay/stagger is for MSFT to give 3rd party support desks some graduated
call volume. Some 3rd parties have been less than communicative about
whether updates are needed, waiting until beyond the last minute after
months to deal with the problem, and how they will supply them insuring they
will up their call volume by a quantum leap.

Just in from MS: As you know, Microsoft recently released Windows XP Service
Pack 2 (SP2) to manufacturing on Friday, August 6, 2004. You may also know
that Microsoft will deliver Windows XP SP2 through the Automatic Update
delivery mechanism in Windows as a critical update. This process began on
Tuesday, August 10.

Since some of our customers, such as your organization, utilize Automatic
Update for a collection of your PC's, and since your organization may not
yet be prepared to deploy Windows XP SP2 onto those machines, we recently
made available a mechanism for temporarily blocking the download of Windows
XP SP2 to those machines using Automatic Update. Last week, we received
feedback from our corporate customers that they would like more time to put
this temporary blocking mechanism into place. Based on that feedback, we
have altered the delivery schedule of Windows XP SP2. The machines in your
organization using Automatic Update will not receive Windows XP SP2 until
Wednesday, August 25 - at the earliest - as long as those machines are
running Windows XP Professional Edition.

Here is a summary of the altered delivery schedule for Windows XP SP2:

8/6 Release to manufacturing

8/9 Release to Microsoft Download Center (full network installation
package)
Release to MSDN subscription site (CD ISO image)

8/10 Release to Automatic Update (for machines running pre-release
versions of Windows XP SP2 only)

8/16 Release to Software Update Services

8/18 Release to Automatic Update for users running Windows XP Home
Edition only

8/25 Release to Automatic Update for all Windows XP users including
those running Windows XP Professional Edition
Release to Windows Update for interactive user installations

hth,

Chad Harris

From: "mismis29" <[email protected]>
Subject: WindowsXP Service Pack 2
Date: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 12:54 AM

I was wondering when the WindowsXP SP2 will be released.
If it has already been released, then why does it not
show up in when I search for windows updates.

Thank you.

Mirko

talking about release schedules, does anyone know when other language
versions of SP2 will be available for download on the "Windows XP Service
Pack 2 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers"
website? (Traditional Chinese in particular)

Thanks.