SP2 Killed A CD ROM Drive...

T

t.cruise

I know that SP2 is still in beta, and wouldn't install it on my system. Yes, I've been to
the SP2 news group and couldn't find any help there. I don't know how, but a next door
neighbor, who has a Dell Dimension 2350 Desktop has 6 Hot Fixes that say (SP2) after the
number. Since SP2 is still in beta, I'm assuming that someone who had access to his
system installed the beta. I'm assuming that the problems he's having are related to
those (SP2) Hot Fixes. He has a D: drive (a CD ROM) and an E: drive (a CD-RW). He says
that the update was done today, and that both drives worked fine before the update.
After the update, the D: CD Drive is recognized, but even with any disk inside, an error
message opens asking to insert a disk into drive D:. Drive D: won't recognize ANY disk,
burned, retail software, or Audio. The Device manager says that the device is working
properly. I tried reinstalling the driver. But that doesn't fix the problem. I tried
removing the device and letting Windows XP find it and it install the driver. Still no
change. The cables are fine.

Oddly the E: drive (the CD-RW works fine). The D: drive shows but just can't be accessed.
I tried using a CD drive cleaner too. It isn't a question of the drive not showing in My
Computer, it does. But the CDs just can't be accessed. I'd think hardware failure, if it
didn't coincidently happen when the (SP2) updates were installed. Also, Windows Media
Player is dead after the upgrade. I went to Control Panel Add or Remove Programs, but the
dialog boxes were ominous, listing a myriad of programs which might not run if the (SP2)
Hot Fixes are removed. I also tried System Restore, which didn't fix the problems. So I
undid the Restore. As I said, I've been to the SP2 news group, and aside from people
complaining that after installing SP2, that their CD, and DVD drives had problems after
the upgrade, their weren't any fixes. If I do a Repair Install of Windows XP, will that
remove the 6 Hot Fixes (SP2) in Add or Remove Programs, or are they stuck like glue unless
I do a clean install? Remember, this isn't my system, so don't flame me for installing
these SP2 Hot Fixes, I didn't, and wouldn't have done it.

L

Lester Stiefel

I know that SP2 is still in beta, and wouldn't install it on my system. Yes, I've been to
the SP2 news group and couldn't find any help there. I don't know how, but a next door
neighbor, who has a Dell Dimension 2350 Desktop has 6 Hot Fixes that say (SP2) after the
number. Since SP2 is still in beta, I'm assuming that someone who had access to his
system installed the beta. I'm assuming that the problems he's having are related to
those (SP2) Hot Fixes. He has a D: drive (a CD ROM) and an E: drive (a CD-RW). He says
that the update was done today, and that both drives worked fine before the update.
After the update, the D: CD Drive is recognized, but even with any disk inside, an error
message opens asking to insert a disk into drive D:. Drive D: won't recognize ANY disk,
burned, retail software, or Audio. The Device manager says that the device is working
properly. I tried reinstalling the driver. But that doesn't fix the problem. I tried
removing the device and letting Windows XP find it and it install the driver. Still no

Oddly the E: drive (the CD-RW works fine). The D: drive shows but just can't be accessed.
I tried using a CD drive cleaner too. It isn't a question of the drive not showing in My
Computer, it does. But the CDs just can't be accessed. I'd think hardware failure, if it
didn't coincidently happen when the (SP2) updates were installed. Also, Windows Media
Player is dead after the upgrade. I went to Control Panel Add or Remove Programs, but the
dialog boxes were ominous, listing a myriad of programs which might not run if the (SP2)
Hot Fixes are removed. I also tried System Restore, which didn't fix the problems. So I
undid the Restore. As I said, I've been to the SP2 news group, and aside from people
complaining that after installing SP2, that their CD, and DVD drives had problems after
the upgrade, their weren't any fixes. If I do a Repair Install of Windows XP, will that
remove the 6 Hot Fixes (SP2) in Add or Remove Programs, or are they stuck like glue unless
I do a clean install? Remember, this isn't my system, so don't flame me for installing

After a massive upgrade/update, such as this, you need to
clean up the drive and defragment. Other than that, make
sure both of the drives are set up in bios. Drive type in
removable media for phoenix, or front (master) page in ami.
Set this to CDROM on both secondary channels.
Heck, one hotfix recently installed had my explorer C drive
options to hide cancelled out for better than a week. Had to
change data in registry.
If you have AV software installed, try disabling it
temporarily. Then test the drive--sometimes AV software can
block the drive(s) and cause mayhem.
Some of the SP2(beta) patches could be interacting with
explorer on the cd drives as well causing problems.

R

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

Hi,

SP2 is no longer in beta, and the final release is currently available to
MSDN subscribers. It will be generally available to the public in a few
days.

The updates that have SP2 appended to them indicate they are included in the
SP2 release, that's all. They are not an indication that one of the SP2 beta
releases were installed on the system.

This article may help your friend. If an update caused the problem, it
probably would have affected both drives. Me, I would first move the drive
to another machine to see if the same problem still occurs. If it does, then
it's a drive problem, and other than cleaning it it may simply need to be
replaced.

How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD Discs
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321641

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP

Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

t.cruise said:

--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
Remove [NoSpam] to reply

K

Ken Blake

In
t.cruise said:
I know that SP2 is still in beta,

Nope, it's just been finalized. But it's not yet available to the
general public.

and wouldn't install it on my
system. Yes, I've been to the SP2 news group and couldn't find any
help there. I don't know how, but a next door neighbor, who has a
Dell Dimension 2350 Desktop has 6 Hot Fixes that say (SP2) after the
number. Since SP2 is still in beta, I'm assuming that someone who
had access to his system installed the beta.

No, your assumption isn't correct. It's just that Microsoft's
terminology is very confusing here. These hotfixes are not SP2,
they are *candidates* to be included in SP2. All of us who have
been keeping up with the critical updates as they've been made
available have such "SP2" hotfixes installed.

N

NobodyMan

Here we go...SP2 has just went to RTM, is not yet available to the
general public (just MSDN subscribers) and already the "SP2 problems"
posts are starting...

Sigh.

T

Testy

Why do you think MS is hiring many tech support people to field the swamp of
phone calls they expect?

Testy

Ask a Question