Two CD Drives (D:) & (E:) ??


W

Willard

Dell Vostro 1510, WinXPproSP3, (1- 40MB HDD & 1-Teac CDRWDVD)..
My Computer shows>>>>>>

Hard Disk Drives::
OS(C:) Local Disk

Devices with removable storage::
CD Drive (D:) CD Drive
CD Drive (E:) CD Drive

Disk management shows>>>>>>

[blank] Partition Basic FAT Healthy (EISA Configuration) 39MB
OS (C:) Partition Basic FAT32 Healthy (System) 37.21GB

Disk 0 Basic 37.25 GB Online
39 MB FAT Healthy (E:)

OS (C:) 37.21 GB FAT 32 Healthy (System)

CD-ROM 0 DVD (D:) No Media

How can I get rid of the erroneous CD-ROM (E:) listing??
 
Ad

Advertisements

M

Michael

Have you installed Daemon tools or something similar that creates a virtual
disk?
 
W

Willard

Michael said:
Have you installed Daemon tools or something similar that creates a virtual
disk?
Yes, I installed some program that created a virtual disk a day or so ago..
I have uninstalled the program and can't remember what it was??
I thought that cloning my usb backup drive would solve the problem..<(wrong)
 
M

Michael

Willard said:
Yes, I installed some program that created a virtual disk a day or so
ago..
I have uninstalled the program and can't remember what it was??
I thought that cloning my usb backup drive would solve the
problem..<(wrong)

Huh???? Now you lost me.
The virtual drive is still showing up after you removed the, as yet unnamed,
program?
What does cloning a usb backup have to do with this?
 
W

Willard

Michael said:
Huh???? Now you lost me.
The virtual drive is still showing up after you removed the, as yet unnamed,
program?
What does cloning a usb backup have to do with this?
The cloning should have wiped everything off the C: os drive and
replaced the C: HDD complete with the backup drive os and programs which
did not have the unnamed program.. (maybe MagicDisk??).. Has the BIOS
been changed somehow??
 
W

Willard

Willard said:
The cloning should have wiped everything off the C: os drive and
replaced the C: HDD complete with the backup drive os and programs which
did not have the unnamed program.. (maybe MagicDisk??).. Has the BIOS
been changed somehow??
Maybe UltraIso??
 
Ad

Advertisements

B

Billns

Yes, I installed some program that created a virtual disk a day or so ago..
I have uninstalled the program and can't remember what it was??
I thought that cloning my usb backup drive would solve the
problem..<(wrong)

Acronis Disk Director Suite allows you to delete partitions. I'm sure
there are other programs out there.

OTOH, the phantom drive is only 39 mb, so you could just ignore it with
little consequences.

I doubt that System Restore will be of any help.

Bill
 
M

Michael

Willard said:
The cloning should have wiped everything off the C: os drive and replaced
the C: HDD complete with the backup drive os and programs which did not
have the unnamed program.. (maybe MagicDisk??).. Has the BIOS been changed
somehow??

You created an image of your drive to a usb device then restored it to your
HDD? If the virtual drive still shows it was there when you created the
clone. Go into Device Manager and see if it shows there.
 
W

Willard

Michael said:
You created an image of your drive to a usb device then restored it to your
HDD? If the virtual drive still shows it was there when you created the
clone. Go into Device Manager and see if it shows there.
Only one correct HDD (the C: os drive) shows under "Disk Drives"
Only one correct TEAK CDRWDVD shows under "DVD/CD-ROM drives"
No virtual drive shows in "Device Manager"..
 
M

Michael

Willard said:
Michael wrote:
Only one correct HDD (the C: os drive) shows under "Disk Drives"
Only one correct TEAK CDRWDVD shows under "DVD/CD-ROM drives"
No virtual drive shows in "Device Manager"..

All I can suggest is checking "Add/Remove Programs" and see if the program
you installed is showing up and uninstall it. The only other thing I can
think of is a registry error. You haven't run any, so called, "registry
cleaners", have you? Another suggestion is to go to Device Manager and
uninstall your IDE controllers, then reboot. Windows will automatically
detect and reinstall them. That may get rid of the virtual disk.
 
T

Twayne

In
Billns said:
Acronis Disk Director Suite allows you to delete
partitions. I'm sure there are other programs out there.

OTOH, the phantom drive is only 39 mb, so you could just
ignore it with little consequences.

I doubt that System Restore will be of any help.

Bill

Hmm, a 39 MB partition could well be a factory-restore folder for getting
the machine working by putting it back to factory defaults. The OP might
want to look at that drive and see what's on it. If it's a hidden drive or
one without a drive letter, then use Disk Management to unhide an d/ore give
it a drive letter and then Explorer might be able to see it. If not, try it
from the command prompt since it's often a FAT or Linux formatted partition
in this case.

HTH,

Twayne`
 
Ad

Advertisements

W

Willard

Michael said:
All I can suggest is checking "Add/Remove Programs" and see if the program
you installed is showing up and uninstall it. The only other thing I can
think of is a registry error. You haven't run any, so called, "registry
cleaners", have you? Another suggestion is to go to Device Manager and
uninstall your IDE controllers, then reboot. Windows will automatically
detect and reinstall them. That may get rid of the virtual disk.
I uninstalled the two Intel IDE drivers and rebooted..
That removed the "DVD/CD-ROM drives" listing from Device Manager..
Leaving only CD Drive (E:) in "Divices with removable storage" which is
not acessable..
 
W

Willard

Twayne said:
In

Hmm, a 39 MB partition could well be a factory-restore folder for getting
the machine working by putting it back to factory defaults. The OP might
want to look at that drive and see what's on it. If it's a hidden drive or
one without a drive letter, then use Disk Management to unhide an d/ore give
it a drive letter and then Explorer might be able to see it. If not, try it
from the command prompt since it's often a FAT or Linux formatted partition
in this case.

HTH,

Twayne`
I'm sure the 39MB FAT is the Dell factory Diagnostics partition..

See my 5:00 pm reply to Michael::
I no longer have an operational CD-ROM drive!!
 
L

LD5SZRA

You have already followed everything written here by two known
trolls (Michael & Twayne) and your problem hasn't been solved. It
won't be solved unless you bite the bullet and decide to reformat
your HD and start everything from scratch. The normal caveats
apply of backing up your data, music files, emails, pictures etc
and also to list all your applications and serial numbers because
you will need them.

Reformatting wipes everything on your system including any viruses
you may have so you know you are starting from base Zero.

hth

I uninstalled the two Intel IDE drivers and rebooted..
That removed the "DVD/CD-ROM drives" listing from Device Manager..
Leaving only CD Drive (E:) in "Divices with removable storage" which is
not acessable..

--
THE INFORMATION IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY
KIND. LD5SZRA DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESSED OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. IN NO EVENT SHALL LD5SZRA
OR ITS ASSOCIATES BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER
INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, LOSS OF
BUSINESS PROFITS OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, EVEN IF LD5SZRA OR ITS
ASSOCIATES HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH
DAMAGES. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL
DAMAGES SO THE FOREGOING LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY.

Copyright LD5SZRA 2010.
 
M

Michael

Willard said:
I uninstalled the two Intel IDE drivers and rebooted..
That removed the "DVD/CD-ROM drives" listing from Device Manager..
Leaving only CD Drive (E:) in "Divices with removable storage" which is
not acessable..

Then I'm out of ideas, unless one of the MVP's have a clue. Sorry.
 
M

Michael

First off, I'm not a troll. I'm a moron abuser and you continue to beat
the sh!t out of my fist with your face.

Now, onto Willard's problem. You suggest he reformat, why? Because that's
the easy thing to do, or does this fall in the same category as you telling
everyone to never use Windows Update 'cause it's the "debil", or are you
just spouting off your normal immature crap?

This may be the last time I converse with you being considered a human, so
try giving a legit answer.
 
Ad

Advertisements

M

Michael

Willard said:
I'm sure the 39MB FAT is the Dell factory Diagnostics partition..

See my 5:00 pm reply to Michael::
I no longer have an operational CD-ROM drive!!

If you're sure you used MagicISO I found this:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Open regedit

2. Search "MagicISO" and delete any key containing it

3. Search "PNPA000" and do the same as above.

4. Search "ZC855" and do the same but, when you get to the key "Cdrom\Enum\
change the value of Count and of Nextinstance reducing its value by one
after deleting the ZC855 on the right (that's the drive of MagicISO)

If you get any messages that you're not allowed to delete any key just right
click and go to permissions, then select full control and press ok. After
that you should be able to delete it without any problem.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

or you can download and run Ccleaner and run a registry check and delete
only the entries you see here, but if you're unfamiliar with working in the
registry you may be better off getting someone who is more comfortable in
this area to do this.

After you complete this, if your actual CD drive doesn't show up, but the
virtual drive is gone, you can again uninstall the controllers and reboot.

Referring to the 36MB partition, you are correct. It's Dell's Diagnostic
partition.
 
W

Willard

Michael said:
If you're sure you used MagicISO I found this:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Open regedit

2. Search "MagicISO" and delete any key containing it

3. Search "PNPA000" and do the same as above.

4. Search "ZC855" and do the same but, when you get to the key "Cdrom\Enum\
change the value of Count and of Nextinstance reducing its value by one
after deleting the ZC855 on the right (that's the drive of MagicISO)

If you get any messages that you're not allowed to delete any key just right
click and go to permissions, then select full control and press ok. After
that you should be able to delete it without any problem.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

or you can download and run Ccleaner and run a registry check and delete
only the entries you see here, but if you're unfamiliar with working in the
registry you may be better off getting someone who is more comfortable in
this area to do this.

After you complete this, if your actual CD drive doesn't show up, but the
virtual drive is gone, you can again uninstall the controllers and reboot.

Referring to the 36MB partition, you are correct. It's Dell's Diagnostic
partition.
I wish I had read your instructions earlier, because I cloned my C:
drive with a month earlier backup drive that was not corrupted, and now
the disk management is back to normal..
Thanks so much for your help...
 
M

Michael

Willard said:
I wish I had read your instructions earlier, because I cloned my C: drive
with a month earlier backup drive that was not corrupted, and now the disk
management is back to normal..
Thanks so much for your help...

I'm glad it worked out for you.
 
Ad

Advertisements

T

Twayne

Do you ever suggest anything but a reformat? Sure, it's a sure fix, but 99%
of the time a drastic one when other solutions can be faster, more
efficient.

I notice you don't like being exposed for your bad advice; maybe I'll have
to be more open about when you try to screw people up on purpose.

In
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top