Sound will not work, found errors with dxdiag

G

Under sound it says
Failure at step 3 (DirectSoundCreate): HRESULT = 0x8878000a (The request failed because DirectSound resources, such as the priority level, were already in use by another caller.)

Under music device it says
Failure at step 6 (Activating the IDirectMusicPort): HRESULT = 0x8878000a (The request failed because DirectSound resources, such as the priority level, were already in use by another caller.)

I am using a SoundMax Digital Audio card on a Dell Dimension 4500. I have recently had several system failures and a virus that I removed. I have reinstalled the drivers and they do not work. Any help would be appreciated.

P

Peter Hutchison

Under sound it says
Failure at step 3 (DirectSoundCreate): HRESULT = 0x8878000a (The request failed because DirectSound resources, such as the priority level, were already in use by another caller.)

Under music device it says
Failure at step 6 (Activating the IDirectMusicPort): HRESULT = 0x8878000a (The request failed because DirectSound resources, such as the priority level, were already in use by another caller.)

I am using a SoundMax Digital Audio card on a Dell Dimension 4500. I have recently had several system failures and a virus that I removed. I have reinstalled the drivers and they do not work. Any help would be appreciated.

Do you have a sound card or built in sound or BOTH? If both, disable
onboard sound first to free up resources. If only a card, try changing
it to another slot.

Peter Hutchison

Ask a Question