Sound Synchronization & Viewers

G

I have created a rather large presentation in Power Point 2000 (approximately 9.7MB) to include animations and background music throughout the show. My sound files consist of four .MP3 files linked to the slide presentation at key points, and one .wav file selected from within one of my slides. I have managed to synchronize my slides, their transitions and animations, to the music. I accomplished this by adjusting how long each slide is displayed ("Advance" panel of the "Slide Transition" option in "Custom Animation"). Between this adjustment and the settings in the "Multimedia" panel of the "Custom Animation" dialog box, I was able to have a particular song play during several slides and then die out as the appropriate slide dissolved. Between the four linked .mp3 sound files and the one .wav file I mentioned above, all of my slides have background music. Although I have worked extremely hard to accomplish this synchronization, the effort was well worth it. Or at least, it initially looked that way

The synchronization did turn what could have been a boring, one-dimensional slide presentation into what to me appears to be almost a professionally made commercial product. Of course, since I am the one who created this presentation, and I used songs written and performed by my son, anyone reading this could rightfully accuse me of bias. Never-the-less, without the synchronization that I worked hard to create, the show really suffers. Even a slight shift between the music and visuals seriously detracts from the show. This may not be obvious to someone who never saw the synchronized version, but if they did see it, they would have to agree that there is no comparison. Which brings me to my problem

My intent was to use this presentation as a marketing tool, to get it out to potential clients in various countries. The music is the heart and sole of this presentation and can't be omitted. Without going into great detail (I suppose its already too late for that), I have discovered many problems associated with transmitting large files, as well as certain restrictions within Power Point 2000 that restrict the use of certain files (you cannot input the smaller .mp3 file into the "Effects" panel of the "Custom Animation" dialog box). The only way I was able to have the music remain with the slide show on someone else's computer, was to link the .mp3 files (about 1/4 the size of equivalent .wav files), by "inserting" them into appropriate slides, and then uploading the .pps file and its associated sound files into an FTP site. My plan was for individuals to download a folder which contained everything they needed to view my show. Unfortunately, some folks may not have Power Point and some may not have the 2000 version

From what I have found, there seems to be some variation of how well this presentation plays on different Power Point versions, incliuding various PowerPiint viewers. For example, after burning a copy of my presentation to a CD, I found that a friend with Windows XP and a newer version of Power Point, and a neighbor with Windows 98 and the same PowerPoint version as mine, both had no problem viewing the show. I was present for only one of these tests and the problem I saw on the Windows 98 computer was the animations getting hung up due to avaialble resources and the large file size. This of course messed up the synchronization for several slides until the show became calibrated again when we came to a slide beginning a new song. The slight hesitations occurred several times, interfering with the synchronization in sevral places. I was told that my CD played fine on the XP system. Yet, when I took the CD to a local computer retailer, the technician could not open my .pps file on two different computers (formatting error). These computers had the most recent version of PowerPoint and I was told that this was the reason why my file couldn't open. In addition, my laptop, which has the same version of PowerPoint on Microsoft's ME operating system, also could not open my .pps file. A technician is currently checking out my motherboard to see if this is the cause of my problem

I am confused as to why the file on my CD does not universally open on different versions of PowerPoint. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. Does anyone have a clue as to what's going on?

Furthermore, in trying to resove the problem of someone not having PowerPoint at all, I downloaded several PowerPoint viewers and checked each one out. None of them work well. One viewer (Viewer 2003) maintained the pre-set timing of my slides, along with my animations, but unfortunately didn't play the music. The other viewer (Viewer 97) plays the music okay, but inserts a several second time delay in the slide presentation and changed the color of the bullets. This delay is repeated at every slide having a linked sound file, thereby causing the entire slide show to be drastically out of synch with the music. I also downloaded and tried a viewer file named Pptview32.exe. This played the music out of synch with the slides. I then saved my presentation as a web page, and that produced still a different result. It plays the music and shows the first slide. That's it, only one slide.

Is there a viewer that will play all of my slides and all of my music at the same time, and in synchronization???

Why does my .ppt (or .pps) file not open on some computers? There are no alternate options I could have selected when burning my CD, except to slow the speed of the burn.

Why does the same .pps file on my CD play fine on a newer version of PowerPoint on one computer, but not on another computer having the same version of PowerPoint?

I'm totally confused, totally frustrtated, and ready to give up. Can anyone shed some light on my problem? Thanks.

B

B

Dear Confused ... oh wait, that's another column...

Well, as long as I started, might as well run with it.

** Question #1
I am confused as to why the file on my CD does not universally open on
different versions of PowerPoint. Sometimes it does and sometimes it
doesn't. Does anyone have a clue as to what's going on?

PowerPoint, like most software packages out there (except Publisher,
not that I'm bitter) is backward compatible. This means that a presentation
file written on PP 97 will play on PP 2002, pretty much as it was written.
PowerPoint also is semi-forward compatible. This is not common among
software products. This means that a presentation written in PowerPoint
2002 with open and play in PowerPoint 97. An important note is that
PowerPoint 97 is not able to show animation that were not available until PP
2002. It will simply not show the animation or default to 'appear'. It
also did not support password protection, so will not open a protected
presentation.
There are exceptions, of course, including that PP 95 used a different
file format, so may not play well with other versions.

** Question #2
Is there a viewer that will play all of my slides and all of my music at the
same time, and in synchronization???

No, but only kinda no. PowerPoint is not able to hold tight sound/slide
sync. This is something I encourage you to ask MS to build into the next
version of PowerPoint. Check this link:
http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp
You can maintain better sync by converting the presentation into a movie
format, but there are trade-offs. Movie files are much larger and may have
significantly less resolution (they'll be slightly fuzzier). There are
multiple capture software products available that will capture your screen
output as a movie file. See this link for information:
http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00057.htm This method works better if
you have a kick-butt system.

** Question #3
Why does my .ppt (or .pps) file not open on some computers?

That depends on what their computer is using to read the file. If they do
not have PowerPoint, they can use one of the free viewer programs. There is
one based on PowerPoint 97 and another based on PowerPoint 2003. The one
for 2003 will show all the animations and transitions, but gives the user
warnings on every link the select. See link for where to get:
http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00153.htm

** Question #4
Why does the same .pps file on my CD play fine on a newer version of
PowerPoint on one computer, but not on another computer having the same
version of PowerPoint?

I think that the links that you created in the show (to MP3 files) were
absolute, not relative. See this link:
http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00155.htm

** Question #5
I'm totally confused, totally frustrated, and ready to give up. Can anyone
shed some light on my problem?

Did this help?

B
===============
Please spend a few minutes checking vestprog2@
out www.pptfaq.com This link will yahoo.
answer most of our questions, before com
you think to ask them.

Change org to com to defuse anti-spam,
ant-virus, anti-nuisance misdirection.

K

Kathryn Jacobs

B -
If you ever want to publish this as an article, I know at least one site
that is interested in it :)
(Oh, and said site is actually in the midst of a major update. Watch for
information soon, if my sys admin can get the time to help out.)

--
Kathryn Jacobs, Microsoft PPT MVP
If this helped you, please take the time to rate the value of this post:
http://rate.affero.net/jacobskl/
Get PowerPoint answers at http://www.powerpointanswers.com
Cook anything outdoors with http://www.outdoorcook.com
Kathy is a trainer, writer, Girl Scout, and whatever else there is time for
I believe life is meant to be lived. But:
if we live without making a difference, it makes no difference that we lived

G

B:
Thanks so much for your kind assistance and for taking the time read through the lengty description of my problems. I have noted all of the websites you mentioned and will visit each of them.

I have sent Microsoft a message as you suggested, requesting that they look into the synch issue.

Regarding your resonse to question #4, pertaining to absolute and relative links, I did take care to ensure that the linked files were in the same folders as when they were inserted and linked to the .ppt file. I understand your comment because a missing link due to the sound file not being where the presentation expects to find it would cause what appear to be random problems, due to the user sometimes maintaining the links and sometimes breaking them. I had experienced this earlier and had been careful to capture the entire folder with linked sound files onto my CD.

When I mentioned that my CD played on one computer but not on another, I was referring to the fact that on several computers my .ppt or .pps files could not even be opened at all! For example, at the store, the technicians claimed that the latest PP version was installed on each of the two or three computers they tried opening my file on. Each time a format error displayed. The same thing happened on my own laptop, which I know for sure has the same PP 2000 installed. Yet a friend of mine, who has Windows XP, and I presume if not the latest version of PP, then certainly a more recent version of 2000, claimed to have no problems opening my file and playing it. Although she stated that the presentation sounded fine, she never saw the original version and therefore had nothing to comapare to. I really don't know if the synch was affected in any way. On another occassion I successfully played my file on a neighbor's several year old system who also had PP 2000, and the synch seemd okay, except for some slight hesitation during one or two animations which appeared related to available resources and not to a systemic synch problem. This inconsistency is baffling.

It could all be explained if my laptop's motherboard is faulty, the stores's computers really didn't have PP installed on them, and the synch was dead on when my friend played the file on her more recent version of PP. Unfortunately, I don't believe all of the above are true. Maybe some, but not all.

Thanks again for your interest and for sharing your knowledge. In answer to your question, your feedback was indeed helpful and greatly appreciated.

S

Steve Rindsberg

When I mentioned that my CD played on one computer but not on another, I was referring to the
fact that on several computers my .ppt or .pps files could not even be opened at all! For example,
at the store, the technicians claimed that the latest PP version was installed on each of the two
or three computers they tried opening my file on. Each time a format error displayed.

Can you get the exact text of this error message and a description of the point at which it
occurred?

There's a known problem in PowerPoint 2003 that causes it to "perceive" some aspects of files
created in 2000 as security threats. I'm fairly sure the currently available update for 2003
fixes this problem (and opening then saving the file in 2002 would repair the specific PPT/PPS
files)
The same thing happened on my own laptop, which I know for sure has the same PP 2000 installed.
Which might blow holes in the previous suggestion. Still, it's worth checking on, and also worth
checking to see if you and the people with newer PPT versions get the same error messages.

Ask a Question