Sound events not played

Gordon

No sound events are being played in my Windows XP machine. When I go to
test them under Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices the play button
is grayed out and will not allow me to test them. The wave files
themselves are still intact and working properly in my System32
directory, and the registry entries linking them up in the Control
Panel all appear to be correct. All other sounds play fine on my
system. Any help would be appreciated.

Ashokan Achari [MSFT]

Hi,

Please see this KB article #307918 "Resources for Troubleshooting Sound
Problems in Windows XP" at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307918

Btw, what's make of the sound card?

Please check for an updated driver at the manufacturer's website. They
should have one for you Sound Card. This should work.

Hope this helps ...... :)

Ashok (Ashokan Achari)

The Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

--------------------
- - From: "Gordon" <[email protected]>
- - Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
- - Subject: Sound events not played
- - Date: 13 Dec 2004 01:11:31 -0800
- -
- - No sound events are being played in my Windows XP machine. When I go to
- - test them under Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices the play button
- - is grayed out and will not allow me to test them. The wave files
- - themselves are still intact and working properly in my System32
- - directory, and the registry entries linking them up in the Control
- - Panel all appear to be correct. All other sounds play fine on my
- - system. Any help would be appreciated.
- -
- -

Gordon

I have a Turtle Beach sound card and I already tried uninstalling and
reinstalling the drivers.

I should have mentioned that this problem occured concurrently with the
xp volume icon no longer showing up in the notification tray (even
though I have it checked to show up.) When I went to
properties/customize on the taskbar instead of showing the speaker icon
it showed a folder as if it was no longer linked up correctly. I tried
reistalling sndvol32.exe off the xp recovery cd to no avail, I then
took the appropriate entries off another xp machine and ran them on
mine, the volume control icon is now displayed correctly (instead of a
folder) in the taskbar properties/customize but it still doesn't load
up. (The seperate sound icon in the notification tray from my sound
driver does though.) Does anyone know the actual file that systray runs
to display the xp volume icon? Thanks for your help.