Sound device

G

Hi there I wonder if someone out there can help me
Today all of a sudden for no apparent reason the sound device on my laptop disappeared. I get no sound whatsoever not even when starting the windows xp professional OS

I tried to play some music with windows media player and I get the message: Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may be in use by another program, or it may not be functioning properly

If I click on more information I get :

0xC00D11BA: Cannot play the fil
Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device, such as a sound card or sound controller. You may encounter this error message for one of the following reasons:

Your sound device is in use by another program. Quit other programs that may be using your sound device, and then try to play the file again.
Your sound device is not functioning properly. To troubleshoot the problem, see the Sound Troubleshooter in Windows Help or refer to your sound device's documentation.
You do not have a sound device installed on your computer. Install a sound device, and then try to play the file again.

After looking at my system information I discovered I have no sound device. From Start to Accessories to system tools , system information. Under Component and then by clicking sound device the response is blank

What happened? how can I restore the Sound Device? do I have to download a new one

Thanks for your tim
Ciao Max :-

G

Look in the Device Manager in the System applet in the Control Panel. If your sound device is not listed there then you have most likely a hardware problem. If it is listed with a yellow or red mark then it's a software problem, maybe downloading and reinstalling the drivers would help. All drivers are usally available freely from the manufacturer's web page.

K

Kelly

Where did my sounds go?
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm

MaxMudu said:
Hi there I wonder if someone out there can help me.
Today all of a sudden for no apparent reason the sound device on my laptop
disappeared. I get no sound whatsoever not even when starting the windows
xp professional OS.
I tried to play some music with windows media player and I get the
message: Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a
problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on
your computer, it may be in use by another program, or it may not be
functioning properly.
If I click on more information I get :

0xC00D11BA: Cannot play the file
Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with
your sound device, such as a sound card or sound controller. You may
encounter this error message for one of the following reasons:
Your sound device is in use by another program. Quit other programs that
may be using your sound device, and then try to play the file again.
Your sound device is not functioning properly. To troubleshoot the
problem, see the Sound Troubleshooter in Windows Help or refer to your sound
device's documentation.
You do not have a sound device installed on your computer. Install a sound
device, and then try to play the file again.
After looking at my system information I discovered I have no sound
device. From Start to Accessories to system tools , system information.
Under Component and then by clicking sound device the response is blank.

Ask a Question