Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty -

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone could help me on this, my brother reckons it doesn't sound much better then the on board sound so i was going through the settings and found the "X-Fi CMSS 3D-Surround" option had the option of raising/decreasing it, it was currently at 50% in between "Front" and "Surround", so first question - Shall i move it down to 100% at "Surround" for better quality?

Secondly, on the "X-Fi Crystalizer" it was on 50% again between "Maximum" and "Minimum", i've moved this to 100% is this correct? I really want to feel the full force of this card, so moving it to "Surround" and "Maximum" is this the trick?

Thirdly - same idea, "EAX Effects" says it's on "EAX Effects Amount - 0.0dB", another slider is giving me the option to increase this to either "Maximum" or "Minimum", this stuff is starting to confuse me so much would be appreciated.

Oh another thing, shall i download "Alchemy" as i'm reading it gives back better surround sounds in games that vista takes away HAL?

Thanks in advanced.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Trust to your ears.....

Seriously, make different settings, play movie, play game, listen.

Repeat til you find something you like.

Which is why it's always best to buy Hi Fi blindfolded :)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
flopps has already said it but keep adjusting the settings till you think it sounds best

Reaction score
So far it sounds best at both 100% lol

When playing things such as youtube.com music and such i get slight distortion in the front centre speaker, however when i play "true" music, from sonicstage/itunes and such it doesn't occur, hmmmm to stop it i have to turn off crystalization.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I keep Crystalization at about 50% that way i dont get any distortion and what i hear sound slighty better- if i know it or not :D

Reaction score
I don't use the 3D-surround thing for music as it makes it crap. Really, really crap.

I have it on 5.1 for music, 70% crystalizer, EQ on rock.

NEVER turn the software volume to 100%. Leave it on 70%, and turn up your speakers. If volume is on 100% then you get distortion that is horrible and ugly.

In games I have headphones with the 3D surround headphone thing on, with Macro FX and Elevation Filter on.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Does anyone change their sound settings? (ie entertainment, gaming)
I dont notice much difference ( if any) but i change it depending on what im doing

Reaction score
I do Alf, might as well lol

Thanks for the tip on playing it at 70% volume to avoid distortion PotGuy.

I've just shoved the crystalizer to 100% for now.

Ask a Question