Sony VAIO XP Hangs

Dave Carr

I have Sony VAIO laptop with Windows XP and all the
Windows updates installed, and recently it has been
hanging hard for no apparent reason. The mouse won't
move, the keyboard is dead - CTRL/ALT/DEL won't work, I
can't even power off - the only thing I can do is use the
paperclip reset button on the back to reboot the !@#$
thing. There does not appear to be any consistency to
when it happens - I can be using the keyboard, or not,
using the mouse, or not - it just hangs. Nothing in the
Event Viewer. I'm ready to throw this thing in the
river. Anybody else experience this, and of course more
importantly, find a fix? Many thanks for a reply,
Dave

Ivan Sheng

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your response.

I am glad to see we narrowed down this issue. However, since the system
dies randomly (1 minute to 4 hours) after we start up the computer, it is
hard or time consuming to use "clean boot" to find the root cause. I have
the following suggestions:

Suggestion 1:
==============
Since it worked normally before, I suggest we perform a System Restore to
restore your system to the state when the program has not been installed in
your system. For detailed instruction on how to do so, please refer to the
following article in our Knowledge Base. If anything in it is unclear, do
not hesitate to let me know.

HOW TO: Restore Windows XP to a Previous State

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q306/0/84.asp

Suggestion 2:
============
Please try to recall what changes you made to the system before this issue
occur. Add/Remove software/hardware? Change settings? If so, please undo it
and test to see if it makes any difference.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I look forward to hearing
from you.

Sincerely,
Ivan Sheng, MCSD,MCSE4,2000,MCDBA,CCNA,ASE
Microsoft Online Support Engineer

from your issue.

jodair

I have the same problem with XP Pro on a FX-210. I
haven't found a solution yet. I've run Quick Tech Pro's
Windows Stress test and other diagnostic programs and
nothing indicates a problem.

Ivan Sheng

Hi Jodair,

Did you try Safe mode to narrow down this issue? And does "System restore"
help?

Please try to recall what changes you made to the system before this issue
occur. Add/Remove software/hardware? Change settings? If so, please undo it
and test to see if it makes any difference.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I look forward to hearing
from you.

Ivan Sheng
Microsoft Online Partner Support
MCSD,MCSE4,2000,MCDBA,CCNA,ASE

This posting is provided ¡°as is¡± with no warranties and confers no rights.

Ivan Sheng

I am glad to see we narrow down this issue since this issue doesn't happen
in safe mode. I am not sure if you saw my last response. Here is it again:

[...]

If the above suggestions doesn't help in this issue, we need to repair
Windows XP:

316941.KB.EN-US: How to Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316941

If the this issue still remains, let's backup the personal data first and
then re-install Windows XP: