Sony DVD Camcorder

I have a Computer I purchased approx. 2 years ago. It came with Windows XP
Home edition already installed.

I have since purchased a Sony DVD Cam Corder 201 that has Image Mixer 1.5
Software. It is supposed to be comaptible with Windows XP. However my
computer will not recognize the USB connection.

I have taken the camera to Sony and they tell me it is not the camera. I
have contacted the Software manufacturer in Californis, and they tell me it
is not the software.

I have talked with the computer company (MDG) and they tell me it is not the
computer.

I have learened the Camera does not have "firewire" (No Idea what that is)

I am now considering purchasing my own Windows XP and installing it.

My question is - can I do this with Windows XP already in my computer?
- will i lose any of my existing pictures or programs?
- In you estimation, would this be a suggested fix.

Unfortunately, I know just enough about computers to totally mess this up
and I do not know who to turn to for advise.

Thanks - I appreciate any help you can offer.

Yves Alarie

Purchasing and installing Windows XP is NOT the way to go.
XP Home Edition is just fine.
You do not need Firewire cable and connection. This is the most common way
to transfer from a camcorder to a computer, but USB is now also used.
With the Sony model you have, it specifically use a USB cable and you plug
it in your USB port on your computer. (If you have a USB2 port, it is almost
as fast as firewire, but if you have USB1 it will be rather slow to
transfer).
In your case:
Install the driver again (described starting on page 92 of your manual) from
the CD-ROM supplied with the camera.
After installation, reboot the computer.
Now connect your camcorder and wait about 15-20 seconds.
Start the Image Mixer Software. You should now be able to see your camcorder
with this software and download from it using Image Mixer).
If not, check that the USB driver was properly installed. The procedure for
checking this is on page 97 of your manual.
If it is not properly installed you will see a yellow triangle with an
explanation point in it next to the listing.
If so, get back to us and we will try to help.

Quaoar

Yves said:
[...]

"Dazed and Confused" <[email protected]>
wrote in message

I would do one additional step before reinstalling the driver. Connect
the camera even if it does nothing, then in Device Manager, select
View/Show hidden devices, and if anything of a camera nature is there,
uninstall the entry, particularly in the USB section remove unknown
devices. Also check the Scanners and Cameras control Panel and remove
anything strange in there. Shut down, disconnect the camera, and follow
Yves instructions to the letter.