Sony DCR-HC20 and Thinkpad T42

G

I'm running a Thinkpad T42 Win XP Pro, with a SIIG Cardbus 800 firewire card and a Sony DCR-HC20 camcorder. The laptop is brand new. I just restored the factory image to eliminate any problems. I inserted the firewire card and it set it self up perfectly. The device name is: Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Comtroller. When I plugged the camera in and turned it on, it started setting itself up. I saw the make and model of my camera flash in the hardware wizard briefly until it settled on Sony DV Camcorder. I turned the camcorder on and off a few times and it made the beep and recognized the camera in device manager. When I loaded Movie Maker 2 it locked up until I turned the camera off. I tried it several times. Ten minutes later, when I turn on the camera, it doesn't show up in device manager anymore. I would think if the camera were bad, or the cable was bad, then it would never work. When I tried the card on another thinkpad with win2k, it recognized the camera. Any ideas on what to check or why this might be happening? Thanks in advance.

G

Two more pieces of information before you ask:
The camera is in playback mode
I have it hooked up to the AC power cord

Ask a Question