Something very scary just happened.

Skybuck Flying

I have decided not to rebuild my old pentium III 450 mhz for the time being
at least, because I think it is not worth it.

I'd rather spare my spare parts for my DreamPC in case it ever gets damaged.

But I am pretty fed up with the power wall sockets, they are unsaved for
some reason.

So I am going to have them replaced by hopefully something more safe.

Hopefully no more sparks.

I will also publish some little video later on on youtube to show a power
wall socket spark, just to show there is a problem with these power wall
sockets and power wall socket connectors.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

Small little "damn" you electronics people are pretty lucky.

I was about to go on a "raging campaign" against "european power wall
sockets" and make a nice small little youtube video demonstrating the
problem.

There are now a couple of further problems:

1. First the "*.mov" ****ing video format prevented me from doing this much
sooner, unable to process it properly and cut it into nice video.

2. Flash disk containing the video has been formatted for new stuff.

3. I think I did copy the video to my old pentium III when my DreamPC was in
trouble or something...

Now my Pentium III is in trouble and can't get to the files...

Amazingly enough I do not have that amazing video on my dreampc ?! :(

Maybe I should try and search somewhat harder... but this kinda sux.

Windows 7 also kinda sux and make things a bit worse... still now easy
viewing of dir *.mov ;)

At least VLC Media Player can play *.mov files without requiring the
dangerous apple software to be installed on windows 7 ;)

Don't wanna catch no quicktime movie viruses/hacks on my dreampc ! ;)

Once again the electric industry escapes my wrath ! ;)

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

One last theory why PC died:

The power wall sockets all belong to the same group. There are two groups.

The PC's are all on the same group.

The pentium was here:

| |
| +----------------+
| | |
Pentium DreamPC Receiver

This drawing is one group.

The DreamPC was on drawing 240 220 whatever volts or so.

The receiver was drawing 220 volts/whatever.

DreamPC and receiver were both on.

I plugged in the pentium and it get 220+220 volts is over voltage for a
short momemt.

Maybe the flow of electricity was so high towards the DreamPc and Receiver
that it somehow caused an overvoltage when I plugged in the pentium ?!?!?!?

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

This theory should be easy to test by someone ;)

Bye,
Skybuck.

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message

One last theory why PC died:

The power wall sockets all belong to the same group. There are two groups.

The PC's are all on the same group.

The pentium was here:

| |
| +----------------+
| | |
Pentium DreamPC Receiver

This drawing is one group.

The DreamPC was on drawing 240 220 whatever volts or so.

The receiver was drawing 220 volts/whatever.

DreamPC and receiver were both on.

I plugged in the pentium and it get 220+220 volts is over voltage for a
short momemt.

Maybe the flow of electricity was so high towards the DreamPc and Receiver
that it somehow caused an overvoltage when I plugged in the pentium ?!?!?!?

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

Other factors to consider during the test to reproduce damage: Plug in power
cord skewed/diagonal... I plug it in kinda skewed to see what I am doing...
then there was a spark ?!

I'd love to hear your explanations how it's possible for a PC to die ? By
just plugging it in ?!

It pisses me off !

Bye.
Skybuck.

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message

This theory should be easy to test by someone ;)

Bye,
Skybuck.

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message

One last theory why PC died:

The power wall sockets all belong to the same group. There are two groups.

The PC's are all on the same group.

The pentium was here:

| |
| +----------------+
| | |
Pentium DreamPC Receiver

This drawing is one group.

The DreamPC was on drawing 240 220 whatever volts or so.

The receiver was drawing 220 volts/whatever.

DreamPC and receiver were both on.

I plugged in the pentium and it get 220+220 volts is over voltage for a
short momemt.

Maybe the flow of electricity was so high towards the DreamPc and Receiver
that it somehow caused an overvoltage when I plugged in the pentium ?!?!?!?

Bye,
Skybuck.

Fred Bartoli

Paul Hovnanian P.E. a écrit :
You, opening up a computer would scare the crap out of me.

Make sure you replace it with a spider of equal or greater rating.

LOL!

KR

Well, now that you're wide awake...

1) Unplug the Pentium III computer.

2) Remove the power supply.

3) Remove the four screws holding the top onto the power supply.

4) Examine the supply for visual damage, like a blown up
    main capacitor. You'll likely find some signs of damage
    in there.

Do *not* touch anything in there. Open it up, have a look,
conclude it is destroyed, and buy another power supply.

The Pentium III motherboard could be ruined, but you won't
know for sure, until you put the new power supply in it
and test the computer again. With a new power supply, it
should be safe to test.

Do *not* attempt to turn on the old supply again. You should
make no further attempt to run the old supply. And examining
it visually inside, should tell you all you need to know.

    Paul

[...]

It could be something like a cockroach, I have had PC's brought in
where a large one would get between the terminals of main filter caps
(that have about 360v across them) and start arcing through the
cockroach to the chassis. Usually the cockroach quickly burns up,
removing the short and then all is well, but often it will blow the
mains fuse in the power supply. If you already had plenty of load on
the power circuit in your home, this might have been enough to trip
the circuit breaker.

Skybuck Flying

I already done this, I am not going to test the dead computer, I will save
equipment for the more important computer.

(See other sub thread where I already described all of this ;))

There was no damage visible.

Bye,
Skybuck.