Something is wrong with my computer!!! HELP please :)

Reaction score
Hey there - me again!

I have just had a major major prob with my computer. I restarted it and it my Intel raid BIOS said Optionrom could not be loaded and then went on to say "invalid system disk - insert disk and press enter" (you know the message, its similar to that).

I went into bios, and as i do when anything goes wrong, i un-overclocked it and checked over the settings. I changed bootable add-in device to Onboard SATA and then it worked once and i was given a recovery option but i forgot to set USB recognition by BIOS and i had to restart and then i promtly got the error again.

I tried again and again and eventually it just worked again for no reason and i do not know whats up!!!

All i have done today is re-wired it more efficiently, took out a couple LEDS and installed my PCI TV-Card (Leadtek TV200 deluxe)

I have a 32Kb raid 0 array with 2x Samsung Spinpoint 80Gb 7200rpm 8mb cache from OCUK (if you need more info) and i am using the Intel controller (ICHR5) on an Abit IC7-G and have an Antec 400w Tru Power PSU.

Anyone know what could be causing this?

Both drives are activly cooled in my antec file server case and there are 3 case fans and the CPU fan so i dont think its heat.

argh!!

any help is appreciated greatly as i dont want this to happen again!

thanks all.

Reaction score
Getting into Windows is a good start.

Invalid system disk means that the boot sequence can't find a bootable device of any kind. That's anything from floppy to hard drive to CD ROM.

Hmmm.. are you running the latest BIOS for that board?? Check the ABIT forums incase this is a common problem that was fixed with an update.

My MSI K8T started doing similar till a BIOS rev fixed it up. If that isn't the case, then time to grab the DOS tools from your HDD makers site and see if one of your RAID members is about to tip.

Reaction score
have the latest BIOS - well i updated it in March...

EDIT: turns out i do not have the latest BIOS - just checked the Abit site. i'm not sure if i want to upgrade it as i know its a bit risky and i have never done it before (cousin did it for me when i was at his place)

this is whats in the latest ones...

Bios Issue Date:2004/06/25​
BIOS ID:2.5
  1. Changed ”IDE Bus Master” default to “Enabled”.
  2. Updated CPU micro code.
  3. BIOS compile date: 06/25/2004
Bios Issue Date:2004/04/27​
BIOS ID:2.4
  1. Fix an issue where the "OnChip SATA Raid Rom" item could not be disabled.
  2. Added AWDFLASH v8.32 support for "ALT+F2" hot key function.
  3. Enhanced compatibility with certain power supplies.
  4. Calibrated CPU temperature.
  5. Updated CPU micro code.
  6. BIOS compile date: 04/27/2004

Last edited:
Reaction score
i just turned on this morning, got the "Optionrom will not be loaded" and then it just hung on that screen, and then i rebooted and it worked OK!

I am baffled - never come across this before at all! would a reformat with a reconstruction of the array be in order or is there any other possible way?

I fear if that does not work i may have to emigrate to silicon image! but that would be a hardware fault right? mobo and drives still under OCUK warranty...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've had that happen. In each case I've found that unplugging HDD cables, blowing out any crap at HDD and motherboard sockets, then reseating them firmly, sorts out problems. In one or two instances I've replaced connector cables. All faults have been with IDE cables and more commonly with flat ribbon type cables. In fact, I don't think I've had a quality rounded cable fail on me, can't remember.

Now, I'm not saying that could be your prob, it's just a few experiences I've had of a similar nature.

So I thought I'd mention it :)

Reaction score
Both drives in the array are Serial ATA as opposed to Parralel ATA and the one thing i hate about SATA cables is that unlike the IDE ones, they always wobble and feel like they could fall out.

i shall probably have a look at my drives then - there shouldn't be masses of crap as both the front fans suck through a mesh dust filter which i took out and washed yesterday as it was filthy. I'll take a look though, perhaps try and tidy things up, its a mess in there...

If that does not work i'll say. I do not know what else it could be though!...

Cheers Flops

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Both drives in the array are Serial ATA as opposed to Parralel ATA and the one thing i hate about SATA cables is that unlike the IDE ones, they always wobble and feel like they could fall out.

i shall probably have a look at my drives then - there shouldn't be masses of crap as both the front fans suck through a mesh dust filter which i took out and washed yesterday as it was filthy. I'll take a look though, perhaps try and tidy things up, its a mess in there...

If that does not work i'll say. I do not know what else it could be though!...

Cheers Flops
I still think this is a BIOS cold boot problem. As it only happens at cold boot (from reading your posts) ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Chris, I've never actually had a problem with SATA cables, apart from managing to snap an end connector once. Their only weakness as far as I know is they don't like sharp kinks in them.

And if I may quote myself:

Now, I'm not saying that could be your prob, it's just a few experiences I've had of a similar nature.

I'd tend to agree with Shorty about the cold boot problem. You say you upgraded the BIOS in March, have you checked for updates? The Abit site is very good.

It's also a possibility - only a possibility - that maybe one of your hard disks is on the way out. It's usually the electronics rather than the physical drive that seems to go first more recently. I sincerely hope it isn't, but you never know.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
i un-overclocked it
[start sarcastic comments]
So you were overclocking your system? ... and that's not going to burn out anything?
tut tut ... :rolleyes:
[/end sarcastic comments]

Well, on that basses alone and in conjunction with the 'error' you may, I say may have caused some damage to (usually) the video card, motherboard or another "ROM based" peripheral.

Explanation ...
A computer at POST checks with "ROMs" from other devices to see if there is any errors ... if everything is OK away you go ... however, if one 'reports' an error, the message "Option ROM will not be loaded" is a classic response (sometimes you see "Rom checksum failure") ... its an indication to me that you need to start swapping out components.

I hope I'm wrong :(

Last edited:
Reaction score
[start sarcastic comments]
So you were overclocking your system? ... and that's not going to burn out anything?
tut tut ... :rolleyes:
[/end sarcastic comments]
Mr. Shifter - absolutely not.

I bought all the components specifically for that purpose!! e.g. Ram that can hack 3v, the amazing Thermal-right SP94, a top of the range (pretty much) motherboard that has all the monitoring sensors and a beefy Antec Tru-Power PSU in a massive case cooled by several 80mm case fans.

I actually emailed OCUK before overclocking my G/c and they said that it will not void the warranty and you can not kill it by tweaking it a little. I havent actually even pushed it enough so that it artefacts even!

Well, on that basses alone and in conjunction with the 'error' you may, I say may have caused some damage to (usually) the video card, motherboard or another "ROM based" peripheral.
This "Optionrom will not be loaded" message appears in the section specifically for showing RAID status, not the motherboard self test page. Its the second screen you see and its under the Intel section...

The motherboard does post ok - like it normally would its just that second screen. You get that message the same as if you try and boot with a USB Data key that has nothing on it or a HDD with no boot thingy...

I'd tend to agree with Shorty about the cold boot problem. You say you upgraded the BIOS in March, have you checked for updates? The Abit site is very good.
Just checked a while ago - see my edited post. They are the 2 released since i have updated.

Surely, however, it would be the drivers for the onboard Intel RAID chip thats at fault and not the IC7-G's BIOS??

Thanks for all the replies guys.
Chris

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Looking at the whole thing then, it's as if the RAID 0 setup isn't being seen at boot. As if you had no disk with an OS on it then?

Well, I gotta say, each time that's happened to me, it's either been a cable/connection problem or a hard disk was knackered.

Have you loaded the latest RAID controller drivers for your board?

And looking at the Bios update details, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot in there that relates to your problem, I'll agree, but it wouldn't hurt to update. The Abit site has instructions on how to do it and if you need any help, ask here.

Reaction score
Its strange.

As it happens, i upplugged all the cables and then blew out any muck that may have accumalted in there and plugged it all back together and it hasn't happened since and touch wood, i hope it wont happen again. accidently kneed one of my 12" alien green cathodes on the bottom of my case and snapped it in half doing so. Damn. now only have 1 cathode shining green out from underneath.

Anything in those bios updates worth having? i mean REALLY worth it?

I do hope one of my drives isnt on its way out as i will have to replace it with a specific model.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Anything in those bios updates worth having? i mean REALLY worth it?
I just had another look and as you presumably don't have a problem enabling/disabling the SATA RAID function, I'd say no, not really.

However, I must confess I don't know what 'improved CPU micro code' is, I'm guessing just a better interface between CPU & motherboard.

And again, did you check for latest RAID controller drivers?

Not, really, that it should make any difference, as all was working fine. Maybe your tinkering has solved it, let's hope so. Keep us informed.

And sorry to hear about your cathode tube :(

Reaction score
:( it was a whole £2 inc VAT from eBuyer (HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS) lol

I think there are newer drivers out but i'm using the ones that came on the 3.5" disc that was supplied with the Mobo itself. I dont think i can update the raid drivers without reformatting the drives anyway (can I?????) and if possible i do not want to do that right now.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You got one o them Intel thingies haven't you? I would assume you can, I can upgrade them on my AMD-based Gigabyte board. The drivers are within your OS, in your case Win XP I believe. There is also a part of your motherboard Bios that interfaces with the onboard RAID controller, that would be upgraded with a new Bios flash, usually.

But no, if all's well, don't bother. If you get more probs, then definitely update Bios and RAID controller drivers.

Reaction score
Ah! Thanks for that Flops (you learn a new thing every day)

Thanks for the super good super fast help man, app. it.

Reaction score
Chris .... Glad To Hear You Have it working Again :)
Shame About The £2 Tube!!..

I Could Live A Whole Month On £2... Eat The Family And Spend The £2 Down The Pub! :D

Reaction score

actually the £2 got me 2 12" cathode tubes and a dual invertor so it was about 50p i lost... ah well.

alas all i can get at a pub is an OJ and some crisps :(

Ask a Question