PC restarts by it's self...Help!

Reaction score
Hi people, I'm new here so go easy.

First of my spec:

Case: Silverstone TJO7 _ with side window

Cooling: Custom Built 1/2" water cooling setup, cools CPU & 1 GPU. Two 120mm Fans Top (Intake), Two 92mm fans (Exhaust), Four 120mm fans cooling (Intake) to XPS 240mm Radiator. (In lower compartment)

Motherboard: Abit IN9 32X MAX
CPU: Intel Quad QX6850 - Not overclocked

Memory: OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-6400C4 - Running at standard 800MHz

Graphics Card: BFG 8800 GTX OC Water Cooled Edition: Mem 2000MHz GPU 650MHz

Smamsung DVD Dual Layer Writer "SATA"

Unknown DVD Dual Layer Writer "IDE"

No Floppy Disk

Two 150GB Raptor Drives - Not in Raid, Individual Storage.

PSU Coolmaster Real Power 1000watt

Well thats about it really for specs, as for my problem...

This build is no more than 4 days young, Originally had a faulty BIOS, but managed to flash it and replace it with a new more up to date version.

Other than that, computer loaded Windows Vista Ultimate fine, was working well, froze once or twice durrying some driver installs, but no Blue screens or cirtical errors etc.

Then yesterday, Installed Battlefield 2142 & Guild Wars. Both online only games...I orignally had a Netgear WNP311 Wireless card set up for the Internet connection, but signal was weak, so disabled this in device manager, and went on to use a LAN cable.

Anyhow, I started up Guild Wars, did my account registration, started to create my player, and all of a sudden, my system just switched off and re-starts. No blue screen's, no nothings. I tried Battlefield 2142, the same happened. I was getting pi**ed off now, so I searched the net for an answer, and all I found out was to dissable my automatic restart, in advanced system settings in the control panel. So I did, thinking this would allow me to catch a blue screen, with the solution to my problem. But still nothing, it still restarts, still with no blue screens etc.

I also read, to try and remove the IDE DVD Drive, don't know why, but I did, and the game worked for like 50 minutes, so I thought, lets put the IDE cable back in try the game again, I played again for 30 minutes, Which compared to normal is about 27 minutes longer then I normally can. After this I went to bed.

I tried to play again this morning, and after 5 minutes the system yet again, restarted.

So I re-moved the IDE cable again, left guild wars running, and came to work. I'll be going back home dinner time, to check if the game is still where I left it or if the system restarted again.

Now the funny thing is, I know people say it's due to cooling, well thats rubbish, well in my case anyway, I run at below 40-45 at load...according to the BIOS,uGURU and speed fan. So I don't think heat is a issue, and my GPU dont get hot at all.

I even Prime 95 torture tested my system yesterday, for 3 hours before I decided to stop it, and not one error or blue screen/restart...

Someone please help me...

Best regards

Tim

Mod Edit : Duplicate thread removed and thread cleaned :)

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you know which driver installs it froze at, as it shouldn't really do that. It may be that component causing the problem :)

Reaction score
163.99 Nvidia Forceware Drivers, last night, I updated my drivers because I thought the restarts could have been caused due to a driver issue, obviously not. But yeah, the last time it froze, was when I installed the above.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The way I see it you have one of two problems ... heat, and or, power ... I would be swapping out the PSU first.

Modular PSUs have a great weakness built-in ... and why 6 power rails, is that a joke of Coolmaster ??

I wouldn't rule out drivers completely, nVidia need to get their act together with Vista ... I ain't a happy bunny with them.

:user:

Reaction score
I couldn't see it being a power issue, because when I stress the graphics card, as by means of using a stand alone torture test, it doesn't crash, if it was to do with the load etc then this stress test would also cause the PC to restart as it does during game play.

However, Nvidia Drivers for Vista arn't that great, like mentioned above the instalation process froze, this could have caused a corupt install...

As for the heat issue, Speedfan shows a nice steady temperature range from 35 degrees idel to a current maximum of 55 degress at load.

I'm baffeled...

Last edited:

Ask a Question