Solution-Outlook not terminating/Outlook remains in system tray

G

I have seen a few posts on this forum and elsewhere on the web regarding this problem where Outlook (2003 in most cases) does not terminate as expected when exited - the process continues to run and when you move the mouse over it, you see a long message. The only way to start outlook is to go into Task Manager, end Outlook process and then try startign Outlook again. Re-installing Outlook or even entire Office suite does not help!

It happened to me recently and I had almost torn my hair in desperation before my best friend - Google, pulled up this discussion for me -

http://www.talkroot.com/showthread....c11bcf612&threadid=42868&highlight=hijackthis

I followed the directions in the article towards the end, downloaded and installed "Hijackthis" which detected this -
"O10 - Broken Internet access because of LSP provider 'xxxxxxx.dll' missing"

If you are having problems with Outlook and Hijackthis reports this line, then it is guaranteed that the problems are due to the LSP/Winsock stack being corrupt due to spyware that has gotten installed onto your computer. Detailed information on item O10 from HiJackthis -

"The Windows Socket system (Winsock) uses a list of providers for resolving DNS names(i.e., translating www.microsoft.com ino an IP address). This is called the Layered Service Provided(LSP). A few programs are capable of injecting their own (spyware) providers in the LSP. If files references by the LSP are missing or the 'chain' of providers is broken, none of the programs on your system can access the Internet. Removing references to missing files and repairing the chain will restore your Internet access. So far, only a few programs using Winsock hook."

If the fix checked button from Hijackthis does not solve the issue, or if the problem and the O10 message reappears in the scan, it means that the Winsock stack has been corrupted to the extent that it needs a fix. Please visit http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm to repair the Winsock stack.

Outlook should work perfect after all of this - It sure did for me !!

Good Luck !

Sincerely,
Adarsh Atikukke

G

I've tryied every thing in any post that I could find. Outlook still isn't
working properly. There has to be a way to fix this. Please help!

Ask a Question