Software to synchronise a directory with an SD card?

casioculture

An SD card used for a palm.

I want to be able to synchronise the SD card, using a reader, with a
directory on the desktop so that the most recent version of a text file
is updated on both. The reason is that I want to edit files on both the
desktop and the palm.

Thanks.

Fuzzy Logic

An SD card used for a palm.

I want to be able to synchronise the SD card, using a reader, with a
directory on the desktop so that the most recent version of a text file
is updated on both. The reason is that I want to edit files on both the
desktop and the palm.

Thanks.

Maybe this:

http://www.allwaysync.com/

Al Klein

An SD card used for a palm.
I want to be able to synchronise the SD card, using a reader, with a
directory on the desktop so that the most recent version of a text file
is updated on both. The reason is that I want to edit files on both the
desktop and the palm.

Just 1 file? Use Windows Explorer, or the normal Palm sync program.
Why do you need special software to copy 1 file back and forth?

casioculture

Al said:
Just 1 file? Use Windows Explorer, or the normal Palm sync program.
Why do you need special software to copy 1 file back and forth?

It's not one file, it's a directory of text files. Plenty of files. I
just want the synching tool to detect modified files on either the SD
card or desktop and update them.

Al Klein

It's not one file, it's a directory of text files. Plenty of files. I
just want the synching tool to detect modified files on either the SD
card or desktop and update them.

If it were me I'd just drag the whole folder over, but try Karen's
Replicator. <http://www.karenware.com/progs/ptreplicator-setup.exe>
The card will have to be mounted (any way you prefer) as a drive the
computer can access.

But why not use the native Palm syncing software?

Al Klein

How do I do that with the palm synching software?

IIRC (It's been a few years since I used a Palm), it syncs them
automatically.

But if I'm wrong, take a look at Karen's Replicator. If you can mount
the card (pull it out of the Palm and put it into a card reader, if
nothing else), her program will do the job. I run it every day to
keep my desktop, the network backup drive and my flash drive in sync.
It runs just before I go home every evening.

Back up only those files you want, all except those you don't want,
however you want it.

Why Tea

This is how I do it:
- use Total Commander (shareware file manager, never expires nad nag
once) with
free plugin and free PRC
- the SD card appears as a drive in Total Commander, all you need to
do is to overwrite
all older files

Alterhatively, you can use Softtick Card Export so that your SD Card
becomes an external drive. Then you can use Windows Explorer to do the
job.

Spacey Spade

Alterhatively, you can use Softtick Card Export so that your SD Card
becomes an external drive. Then you can use Windows Explorer to do the
job.

I thought those cards show up as a drive in Windows Explorer, without
the need for any added software.

Spacey Spade

Sort the files by clicking once or twice on the "date modified" column
in Windows Explorer. Or better, use xplorer2 or 2xexplorer where you
can see two panes side by side. You will see which files you need to
transfer over.

You can also use directory comparison programs, I have an old copy of
"vice versa free" that I can upload upon request... don't know if it's
the best as I haven't tried new offerings in years.

There is also real time sync software, but that's another background
process to slow down your computer (that does stuff when you sometimes
don't want it to).

Best wishes,

Spacey

Al Klein

Alterhatively, you can use Softtick Card Export so that your SD Card
becomes an external drive. Then you can use Windows Explorer to do the
job.
I thought those cards show up as a drive in Windows Explorer, without
the need for any added software.

The card has to be connected to the computer somehow for that to
happen. A card reader, a USB card adapter (flash drive adapter -
which, btw, IOGear makes and CompUSA sells for $10, which might not be
a bad idea) ... something. Sitting the Palm in the cradle may not do
it (it's been too long, and too many years of using pocket PCs, for me
to remember exactly how it works with a Palm.)

Why Tea

The card has to be connected to the computer somehow for that to
happen. A card reader, a USB card adapter (flash drive adapter -
which, btw, IOGear makes and CompUSA sells for $10, which might not be
a bad idea) ... something. Sitting the Palm in the cradle may not do
it (it's been too long, and too many years of using pocket PCs, for me
to remember exactly how it works with a Palm.)

Yes, you have been outdated about the Palm. Also, the original question
was about sync'ing files in either direction. How would you do that in
a card reader?

Why waste time writing something you aren't sure about?

Craig

Why said:
Yes, you have been outdated about the Palm. Also, the original question
was about sync'ing files in either direction. How would you do that in
a card reader?

Why waste time writing something you aren't sure about?

Indeed.

Just a refresher. The OP's original post:
From: casioculture - view profile
Date: Wed, Apr 5 2006 3:18 pm
Email: "casioculture" <[email protected]>
An SD card used for a palm.

I want to be able to synchronise the SD card, using a reader, with a
directory on the desktop so that the most recent version of a text file
is updated on both. The reason is that I want to edit files on both the
desktop and the palm.

Thanks.

I am sure the OP does not need Total Commander shareware w/various
plug-ins. Nor does he need any card adapters.

I am sure the OP need only use hotsync with his cradle.

If there is *anything* he needs in addition to that, it is included with
the 3rd party palm apps he is using to edit his files. Inserting y.a.
piece of software to the self-contained world of Palm is just asking for
trouble. It is clear from his response to Al Klein's question that the
OP needs to spend some time reviewing any doc he may have for hotsync
and his 3rd party apps.
How do I do that with the palm synching software?

I am sure the OP will find more pertinent information at
forums.palm.com/pe/index.jsp.

-Craig

casioculture

Craig said:
Indeed.

Just a refresher. The OP's original post:

I am sure the OP does not need Total Commander shareware w/various
plug-ins. Nor does he need any card adapters.

I am sure the OP need only use hotsync with his cradle.

If there is *anything* he needs in addition to that, it is included with
the 3rd party palm apps he is using to edit his files. Inserting y.a.
piece of software to the self-contained world of Palm is just asking for
trouble. It is clear from his response to Al Klein's question that the
OP needs to spend some time reviewing any doc he may have for hotsync
and his 3rd party apps.

I am sure the OP will find more pertinent information at
forums.palm.com/pe/index.jsp.

-Craig

Well the reason my original post is here and not in a palm newsgroup is
that I'd already asked in a palm newsgroup and got the following reply
" There are utilities to do so, but the simplest and cheapest option is
to get an inexpensive USB card reader and copy the files. "
http://tinyurl.com/k4929

I don't want to just manually copy the files, I need a tool that would
compare both directories and update the modified files.

Al Klein

I don't want to just manually copy the files, I need a tool that would
compare both directories and update the modified files.

Windows comes with a program called "My Briefcase". I've never used
it but, if you hit F1 while on the desktop, you should get help. Type
in Briefcase and search. Look at the entry about external disk
drives. That will probably do what you need, no external program
needed.

Why Tea

I don't want to just manually copy the files, I need a tool that would
compare both directories and update the modified files.

In addition to my original post, Total Commander has got such an option
under Commands/Synchronize Dirs... I think other free dual pane file
managers might provide the same function too. I guess the idea is to
get the SD card recognized as an external drive and then you can just
pick a sync tool to do the job.

Craig

casioculture said:
Well the reason my original post is here and not in a palm newsgroup is
that I'd already asked in a palm newsgroup and got the following reply
" There are utilities to do so, but the simplest and cheapest option is
to get an inexpensive USB card reader and copy the files. "
http://tinyurl.com/k4929

I don't want to just manually copy the files, I need a tool that would
compare both directories and update the modified files.

Golly;

I'm this close <thumb-forefinger a hair's breadth apart> to saying I put
my foot in my mouth. But I can't just give up yet.

Casioculture...
I've emailed the author of cardtxt w/your problem. I
just...can't...believe that hotsync won't take care of this natively.

stubbornly yours,
-Craig

David

Well the reason my original post is here and not in a palm newsgroup is
that I'd already asked in a palm newsgroup and got the following reply
" There are utilities to do so, but the simplest and cheapest option is
to get an inexpensive USB card reader and copy the files. "
http://tinyurl.com/k4929

I don't want to just manually copy the files, I need a tool that would
compare both directories and update the modified files.

Try SyncBack

http://www.2brightsparks.com/

Spacey Spade

Al said:
Alterhatively, you can use Softtick Card Export so that your SD Card
becomes an external drive. Then you can use Windows Explorer to do the
job.
I thought those cards show up as a drive in Windows Explorer, without
the need for any added software.

The card has to be connected to the computer somehow for that to
happen. A card reader, a USB card adapter (flash drive adapter -
which, btw, IOGear makes and CompUSA sells for $10, which might not be
a bad idea) ... something. Sitting the Palm in the cradle may not do
it (it's been too long, and too many years of using pocket PCs, for me
to remember exactly how it works with a Palm.)

Many modern computers come with card readers built in, and no floppy
drive.

Al Klein

Many modern computers come with card readers built in, and no floppy
drive.

Tell me about it. 4 laptops and the only floppy is the one in the
desktop.

Bart PE on a CD to the rescue.