Windows Vista Software Compatability in Vista ... How To.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
This process is fairly easy ...

Is my processor fast enough? Do I have at least the minimum amount of RAM? Do I have a driver for my modem, printer, scanner, camera, graphics card?

Unfortunately, we tend to overlook the one thing that, if it fails to operate, will generate as much or more grief than the hardware, software applications themselves. Application compatibility problems can take several forms ... UAC (User Access Controls, which equals security) issues; Hardcoded file locations that no longer exist in Vista; installation issues, version compatibility problems and graphics issues.

Fortunately, help is not too far away. In Vista, the Application Compatibility Toolkit is part of the Programs sub-menu of the Control panel:

499x375.aspx

The Application Compatibility Wizard will help you select the programs you want to work with:
500x296.aspx

500x297.aspx

Then allow you to select the version of the previous version of the OS that the application worked on:
500x295.aspx

Simply select the previous version of the OS that the application worked with and then review the graphics requirements of the application.
500x295.aspx

Then select the Security Level the program will require:
500x297.aspx

Finally, test the application with the new settings and see if it runs correctly.

You can go and do all that the old way too. :D

This page from MS is updated regularly ...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/933305

user.gif

Ask a Question