So many to choose from, so little knowledge

Reaction score
That's it I give up, and I haven't even started.

I'm trying to decide which digital camera to buy.

This will be my first foray into the world of digital photography and I would like to go for the best spec I can afford without over doing things. I've looked at various cameras on the net and their specs, but am now just plain confused and don't want to make an expensive mistake

I'm settng my spec as below so if anybody can advise I'd be more that a little grateful

5 megapixels 3 Optical zoom Rechargeable batteries Would buy additional memory Compact £200.00 ish Do I want the video, if yes I woud want sound recording. Would like to be able to take photos under water (know this may require a housing to be purchased) Good macro focus. Hope to do a little more than point and click

HELP

Thanks

ChrisB :confused:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Canon A95 is one of the best all-rounder camera in the under £200 category. The Nikon has an edge when it comes to closeup photography, in fact Nikon's give you the best close-up pictures compare to any other brand. If close up is very important to you you can consider the Nikon other wise you can go for the Canon.

Reaction score
Which of the Nikons were you thinking of so I can have a look, make a decision (possibly my first) and commit myself

Cheers

ChrisB

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Coolpix 5900 or 5600. They are both under £200 Take a look at them and let me know what your personal opinion is.

Reaction score
Wish i'd never decided to buy a digital camera, this really is hard work.

I've looked at the Nikons - have to say I was originally interested in one, I was looking at the 5200.

On reading the reviews, and that's all I can go by, the indoor shots ssem to lose some of their sharpness.

At the end of the day I'm going to have to go on somebodys recommendation, as hopefully they will have first hand experience of the equipment.

So what do you feel are the pros & cons of the Nikon 5600/5900 V Canon A95

Confused ChrisB

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
ChrisB said:
Wish i'd never decided to buy a digital camera, this really is hard work.

I've looked at the Nikons - have to say I was originally interested in one, I was looking at the 5200.

On reading the reviews, and that's all I can go by, the indoor shots ssem to lose some of their sharpness.

At the end of the day I'm going to have to go on somebodys recommendation, as hopefully they will have first hand experience of the equipment.

So what do you feel are the pros & cons of the Nikon 5600/5900 V Canon A95

Confused ChrisB

See post #3 ;)

If you getting flustered just choosing the thing, wait til you get to use it, the manual is THIS thick :D

Nope, only kidding, I know it can be a daunting experience spending that much money, but believe me, all above reccomendations are good and will serve you well.

Hell, if you can't make up your mind, go for the one which you think looks the prettiest ;)

Reaction score
Thanks, I like your logic.

If I said I was old enough to know better than to be ditsy, it might give you a clue that I'm no spirng chicken, just don't want to make and expensive error.

Right, this is it, decision made, I'm going into the breach dear friends

Reaction score
Knew you'd ask, I'll have to kill you if I tell you!!

I have all but decided on the Canon A95,I'm hoping with my choice it will give me scope to just point and click but also enable me to learn about digital photography and try some more serious work, and get good results

Thanks for your help and advice :)

ChrisB

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
ChrisB said:
Knew you'd ask, I'll have to kill you if I tell you!!

I have all but decided on the Canon A95,I'm hoping with my choice it will give me scope to just point and click but also enable me to learn about digital photography and try some more serious work, and get good results

Thanks for your help and advice :)

ChrisB

You can do that with the A95. Just switch it to automatic for point and click, or select from a range of settings from semi manual to fully manual.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
You came here to ask for help before buying, after buying you will still be welcome to ask for any assistance if you need. :D

First things first, if I were you I would read the entire manual at least once when starting out, later you need to use it only for reference.

Enjoy shooting :)

Ask a Question