Smartart hyperlinks

Peter Demuynck (Belgium)

In Powerpoint 2003 i used the organogram object with hyperlinks to documents
with description of the functions in the organogram.
In transition to powerpoint 2007, smartart converted the organogram to a
Smartart object. Beautiful, but... the hyperlinks are still stored, but not
recognized! It doesn't work anymore.
Even with creating a new powerpoint 2007 presentation, with a new
organogram, the hyperlinks didn't work. (putting the hyperlink just on the
slide instead of on the smartart, makes the hyperlink work)
Question:
is this a bug or is there a security issue that blocks the hyperlink?

Kathy Jacobs

What I have found is that you need to put "hidden" objects over your
SmartArt diagrams in order to set up multiple links. To do that, add a box
or circle over each diagram area that needs to be a link. Add the links.
Select the new objects and format them to have no line and a 98% transparent
fill. Save the changes and play your slides. The hyperlinks will be back and
usable.

(As far as I can tell, what is going on is that the entire diagram is
treated as one object, so there is no way to add hyperlinks to the
individual pieces.)

--
Kathy Jacobs, Microsoft MVP OneNote and PowerPoint
Author of Kathy Jacobs on PowerPoint
Get PowerPoint and OneNote information at www.onppt.com

I believe life is meant to be lived. But:
if we live without making a difference, it makes no difference that we lived

"Peter Demuynck (Belgium)" <Peter Demuynck
news:[email protected]...

Peter Demuynck (Belgium)

Thank you, Kathy, for this first reaction, and an 'intermediate' solution.

I wanted to use Powerpoint to quickly create the organogram, and put these
files on sharepoint for the ISO certification.
Your 'workaround' is one, so I can get on, but there's something not logical
in the program:

- I have to spend much more time than in powerpoint 2003 to create the
organogram
- I actually ** can ** define a hyperlink, but they just don't work
- the program remembers the hyperlink, because when you 'mouseover' the
hyperlink, it (he/she?) shows a text balloon with the hyperlink explanation.
- You can even rightclick to 'add to favourites'.
So it is there, but for some reason, it may not work...

Ute Simon

Another workaround, if you do not need to change the organogram later on:
Select all objects within the SmartArt, copy them and paste them to a new
slide as forms. These can have hyperlinks, but the SmartArt functionality
ist gone.

Best regards,
Ute

Steve Rindsberg

(As far as I can tell, what is going on is that the entire diagram is
treated as one object, so there is no way to add hyperlinks to the
individual pieces.)

But PPT allows you to add hyperlinks and actions to selected text.

And if you add a Play Sound action, the thing works.

I'd call this a crawler; have reported it to Redmond.

Kathy Jacobs

Thanks for reporting it. Hope it goes better than when I did :)

Get PowerPoint and OneNote information at www.onppt.com

I believe life is meant to be lived. But:
if we live without making a difference, it makes no difference that we lived

Peter Demuynck (Belgium)

I indeed would like to report this to Microsoft, but I don't know how this
should be done ? Is it (like a friend told me) that I have to pay to report a
possible bug?

Steve Rindsberg

Peter Demuynck said:
I indeed would like to report this to Microsoft, but I don't know how this
should be done ? Is it (like a friend told me) that I have to pay to report a
possible bug?

No worries, Peter. I've already reported it for you, and apparently Kathy's run
into the same problem and reported it in the past.

It's not that MS wants to charge you to report a bug, by the way.

They have a support system that *may* cost you to call, depending on the nature
of your problem. They just don't have any way of accepting bug reports from the
public, at least not that I know of.

Peter Demuynck (Belgium)

Many thanks, Steve.
Now, is there a way that Microsoft Redmond can report to me when this
problem will be resolved (otherwise, I do have to buy another program like
SmartDraw , or perhaps downgrade to office 2003?).

As again, many thanks!

Steve Rindsberg

Peter Demuynck said:
Many thanks, Steve.
Now, is there a way that Microsoft Redmond can report to me when this
problem will be resolved (otherwise, I do have to buy another program like
SmartDraw , or perhaps downgrade to office 2003?).

All we can do now is wait and see what makes it into SP1, whenever that comes out.

Or SP2, if SP1 doesn't fix it.

Or ....

Hmm. Another approach would be to copy the diagram, then Paste Special as PNG.
Then draw rectangles above the "live" areas and apply your hyperlinks to them.
Finally, give the rectangle no outline and a 99% transparent fill.