Slow startup

Hi All

A laptop running dual boot: Windows XP pro + Linux. After the login
(username + password), the wallpaper appears but the rest (taskbar and icons)
would not. They take a long time to download. The user has to press "Esc"
for them to appear. I performed a clean boot using "msconfig". It appears
that the service "Workstation" was causing this. So I disabled "Workstation"
service but this created other problems with the network. When you try to go
to the netwrok, an error message occurs: "Unable to browse the network. The
network is not present or not started". Also an event system log is
registered with ID: 7001 saying "the computer browser depends on the
workstation service".

I re-enabled the "Workstation" service and this has brought back the startup
problem.

Any idea please ?

Best

Jason Tan

Hi,

Thanks for posting!

I understand that "Workstation" service cause the slow startup of Windows
XP. If I have misunderstood your concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Firstly, the Workstation service is an important service which several
services depend on it. If it is disabled, it could cause unexpected issue.
At this moment, I would like to provide you with the following method for
your reference:

1. To use Computer Management to disable this service, reset msconfig to
Normal and reboot the computer. Test the issue if it still persists.

2. If the issue still persists, please help me know if it can be reproduced
in Safe Mode.
Safe Mode

1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your
keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple
operating systems, you can press the F8 key when you see the Boot Menu.

2. In "Windows Advanced Option Menu", use the arrow keys to select
Safe Mode, and then press ENTER.

3. If you are running other operating systems on the computer, click
Microsoft Windows on the list that is displayed and then press ENTER.

For more information, please refer to the following information:
308041 Resources for troubleshooting startup problems in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308041

I hope my information helps. If there is anything that is unclear, please
feel free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Thak you Jason for your reply.

I booted the machine from the Safe Mode. It booted fine. If I could know
how to know the dependencies on the "Workstation" service , this could be
helpful because when I disabled it from "msconfig", the startup problem
simply disappeared but this was not a good solution as it created serious
network connection problems.

Thanks again.

Kind regards

Best

Jason Tan

Hi,

Thanks for update!

You may verify the dependencies as the following method:

Click Start-> type Run-> Services.msc-> Right-Click
Workstation->Properties->Click Dependencies tab, and you will find the
dependencies services.

This service creates and maintains client network connections to remote
servers. If this service is stopped, these connections will be unavailable.
If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will
fail to start. This is a necessary service which we cannot simply disable
it to fix the issue.

1. Please help me know when the issue appears. That is to say, what
happened before the issue appeared? I suggest you using attempt to load
last known good configuration.

How to load last known good configuration.

2. Please help me know if the issue persists in Safe Mode with Networking.

3. Please create a new user account and login system with the new account,
Can the issue be reproduced?

If all above steps do not work, please help me collect MPS_Network report.

Here are the steps:

Download the MPSRPT_NETWORK.EXE from the following link and then run this
tool to gather some information from the problematic computer:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/b/1/bb139fcb-4aac-4fe5-a579-30b0bd9
15706/MPSRPT_NETWORK.EXE

To run this tool:

1. Double-click on the MPSRPT_NETWORK.EXE file.

I understand this process may take some time, however it will not have a
negative effect on the performance.

2. A CAB file will be generated in the
%systemroot%\MPSReports\Network\Reports\Cab directory called
%COMPUTERNAME%_MPSReports.CAB. The CAB file will contain the reports
generated by the MPS Reporting Tool.

3. Send the CAB file as an attachment to (e-mail address removed)

More information for your reference:
Workstation Service
http://www.theeldergeek.com/workstation.htm

===========================
This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site.
Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft
does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information
found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations
regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or
information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any
software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure
that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from
the Internet.

If there is anything that is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "=?Utf-8?B?YmVzdEBuZXdzLnBvc3RhbGlhcw==?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Slow startup
| Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 15:28:02 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| Thak you Jason for your reply.
|
| I booted the machine from the Safe Mode. It booted fine. If I could
know
| how to know the dependencies on the "Workstation" service , this could be
| helpful because when I disabled it from "msconfig", the startup problem
| simply disappeared but this was not a good solution as it created serious
| network connection problems.
|
| Thanks again.
|
| Kind regards
|
| Best
|
| "Jason Tan (MSFT)" wrote:
|
| > Hi,
|
| > 2. If the issue still persists, please help me know if it can be
reproduced
| > in Safe Mode.

Jason Tan

Hi Smain,

Thanks for update!

I have received the MPS_Report. Based on my further research, I would like
to provide you with following steps for your reference:

Step 1: Disable the WebClient Service
1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
2. Double click on the WebClient service, change the Startup type to
Disabled, and click the Stop button, and then click OK.
3. Restart the computer to test the issue again.

If the issue still exists, please help me to collect some information so
that I can perform further research on this issue:

Step 2: Collect Information
----------------------------------
1. Userenv.log

a. On the Windows XP machine, use Registry Editor to add the following
registry value (or modify it, if the value already exists):

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Value: UserEnvDebugLevel
Value Type: REG_DWORD
Value Data: 10002 (Hexadecimal)

Note: To disable logging, change the value to 0.

b. Restart the computer, and make sure the issue occurs.

c. The log file is written to the %Systemroot%\Debug\UserMode\Userenv.log
file, please send this file to me.

For more information please refer to the following KB article.
How to Enable User Environment Event Logging
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=221833

> [...]

| found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any
representations
| regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or
| information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any
| software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure
| that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software
from
| the Internet.
|
| If there is anything that is unclear, please feel free to let me know.
|
| Thanks & Regards,
|
| Jason Tan
|
| Microsoft Online Partner Support
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
|
| =====================================================
|
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

| |
| | Thak you Jason for your reply.
| |
| | I booted the machine from the Safe Mode. It booted fine. If I could
| know
| | how to know the dependencies on the "Workstation" service , this could
be
| | helpful because when I disabled it from "msconfig", the startup problem
| | simply disappeared but this was not a good solution as it created
serious
| | network connection problems.
| |
| | Thanks again.
| |
| | Kind regards
| |
| | Best
| |
| | "Jason Tan (MSFT)" wrote:
| |
| | > Hi,
| |
| | > 2. If the issue still persists, please help me know if it can be
| reproduced
| | > in Safe Mode.
| |
| |